RETAILER SPECIFIC product identifiers should not be used to describe a RELEASE.

"The Amazon Standard Identification Number (ASIN) is a 10-character alphanumeric unique identifier assigned by Amazon.com and its partners for product identification within the Amazon organization.

Although ASINs used to be unique worldwide, global expansion has changed things so that ASINs are only guaranteed unique within a marketplace. The same product may be referred to by several ASINs though, and different national sites may use a different ASIN for the same product."

Anyone?

ASIN's are just a garbage identifier full-stop. They are often disregarded in the Discogs community as they are liable to change at the will of Amazon, and sometimes an item can have different ASIN's for different Amazon regional stores (.de might be different to .uk for example).

Been seeing ASIN's again:

from nChannel:

"ASINs are only guaranteed unique within a marketplace. So, different national Amazon sites may use different ASINs for the same product."

Should ASIN's be used to ID a RELEASE? Developers?

On Discogs you can only use ASIN if it's a Amazon release. Otherwise it's better not to use them. So I am against them.

Bumped.

I think some users are adding releases they do not own by checking out Amazon.com and copying the data and using the images. These users flood the site will such crappy entries that it is almost not worth the effort to try and correct - no real images (stock retailer images), cannot verify data unless one owns a copy, etc.

remco2502:On Discogs you can only use ASIN if it's a Amazon release. Otherwise it's better not to use them. So I am against them.

Yes, correct. Have to be Amazon-only-releases.

Yes Vellozet, if it's not an Amazon release don't use the ASIN.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.