RETAILER SPECIFIC product identifiers should not be used to describe a RELEASE.

"The Amazon Standard Identification Number (ASIN) is a 10-character alphanumeric unique identifier assigned by Amazon.com and its partners for product identification within the Amazon organization.

Although ASINs used to be unique worldwide, global expansion has changed things so that ASINs are only guaranteed unique within a marketplace. The same product may be referred to by several ASINs though, and different national sites may use a different ASIN for the same product."

Anyone?

ASIN's are just a garbage identifier full-stop. They are often disregarded in the Discogs community as they are liable to change at the will of Amazon, and sometimes an item can have different ASIN's for different Amazon regional stores (.de might be different to .uk for example).

Been seeing ASIN's again:

from nChannel:

"ASINs are only guaranteed unique within a marketplace. So, different national Amazon sites may use different ASINs for the same product."

Should ASIN's be used to ID a RELEASE? Developers?

On Discogs you can only use ASIN if it's a Amazon release. Otherwise it's better not to use them. So I am against them.

Bumped.

I think some users are adding releases they do not own by checking out Amazon.com and copying the data and using the images. These users flood the site will such crappy entries that it is almost not worth the effort to try and correct - no real images (stock retailer images), cannot verify data unless one owns a copy, etc.

remco2502:On Discogs you can only use ASIN if it's a Amazon release. Otherwise it's better not to use them. So I am against them.

Yes, correct. Have to be Amazon-only-releases.

Yes Vellozet, if it's not an Amazon release don't use the ASIN.

DEVELOPERS -
ASINs are now OK to be used as a unique identifier?! There seems to be some confusion due to the appearance of "ASIN" in the ID Code drop-down list.

Bumped - Developers see above.

Hi all,
We defer to the Discogs guidelines here, where if the ASIN is printed on the physical release, it's permitted as a legitimate identifying code in a submission.

How will this be possible to verify if there are no actual images of the release? (Meaning image is from online retailer and not an actual copy user is indexing from)

Developers:

We defer to the Discogs guidelines here, where if the ASIN is printed on the physical release, it's permitted as a legitimate identifying code in a submission.

Users are listing ASINs again WITHOUT providing actual images of physical item that has ASIN printed on it.

It seems there is a growing segment of users that will index releases directly from other online sites - NOT ONLY Amazon (and not all new users)

Yes i see a user is adding clamsell to all ther releases when they are keep cases and including ASIN'S and barcodes with one stock photo.

i think the best thing is to remove the identifiers and image and ask them to upload from the copy they have in hand

If they don't then we know for certain they are copying from online sources

Look at simfonia.terori he or she copies directly from online sources and reverts to what the online sources says and there is no possible way to stop that user.

I mean let's use a bit of sense here - I have only once in my 10 years of collecting multimedia ever found a release which had an identifier that looked like an ASIN (https://www.discogs.com/release/6516027-Hell-Can-Wait/history#latest) - which doesn't exist in Amazon's database anyway!

If there is an ASIN and the image is giving you the gut feeling that its been lifted from Amazon then the ASIN is probably not going to be one the release, so remove it. If the stars align and pigs begin to fly and the ASIN is on the release, I'm sure it won't take the submitter who ends up with the release in their hands more than 5 minutes to add it back in.

No kidding! I own a number of "Amazon Exclusive" releases and none include a printed ASIN number on the packaging. I am very curious to see a legit release WITH an ASIN.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.