Where's the Gameogs?

RGAF_Ltd
3 months ago
I know this is a bit off topic but will there be a Gameogs for video games. I list on all your other sites (I sell comics, films, music) but a games site would be an excellent addition (as I also sell these). Any hint of this happening?
sound.and.vision
3 months ago
This is something I have always wanted as I have quite an extensive video game collection. However there are lots of websites that already exist - but I found these to always be sub-par, either run by snobs or development abandonment.
EK_
3 months ago
Would you actually contribute RGAF, and not by simply adding lame, bare minimum entries to sell your wares?
RGAF_Ltd
3 months ago
I'm sorry EK but who pissed on your chips and called it vinegar. Any sort of contribution is a contribution. I make no bones about being a seller of stuff, that's my modus operandi. And if my lame, bare minimum entries gets people on the site in any way, shape or form is that not a contribution. I'm really sorry I don't live up to your expectations as a contributor. Sure i'll live.
EK_
3 months ago
Are you making statements or questions? The question mark key is next to the right shift key.
RGAF_Ltd
3 months ago
You see, that's the thing with people who have no arguments. They turn into grammar police. Good luck with the contributions EK. I really do appreciate people who do take the time to do that. I'm honest in what I do. I sell. If my contributions from selling (I do get charged fees on Discogs) contribute to the site running for a minute, hour, day, week or whatever do not count then i'm sorry I don't live up to your lofty standards. Anyway, I have better things to do than argue (like having a life and selling) so like I said good luck. Meanwhile, if all you want to do is pick holes in people or grammar, do a Google search. There must be billions of websites waiting for your most fantastic of contributions.
sound.and.vision
3 months ago
Can we please keep this thread focused on the original subject please.
RGAF_Ltd
3 months ago
Please accept my apologies for derailing the question Sound And Vision. Like I said i'm finished replying to EK but will reply to any that are on topic.
EK_
3 months ago
I'm the punctuation police. Grammar cops suck.
mirva
3 months ago
I don't have too many games as I tend to sell the ones I don't play anymore, but I have kept a boxful of personal favorites. But I believe a database for games wouldn't be a bad idea, and I would gladly submit my small collection of games there.
BarryWallace
3 months ago
Very good topic RGAF_Ltd, I totally endorse the idea!!

They could bring it a step forward with not only video games, but also board game included!

You could sell sports game equipment as well, because its obvious some us need to go outside every now and then.
mirva
3 months ago
not only video games, but also board game included!
That would be great, maybe all tabletop games (card games too). I mean there's BoardGameGeek, but if we combine it to include video, board, and card games, that would be something different.
VinylKnights
2 months ago
Video Games Yes! Board Games No!

Console & PC Games, Consoles, Controllers, & Other Accessories - Gameogs needs to happen!
BarryWallace
2 months ago
Board Games, tabletop games, card games with Sports accessories. YES!

There more we can sell the merrier!
morgue_sludge
2 months ago
I am not really a board game player (or any kind of gamer/game collector much anymore), but I do have a small collection of both card/board and pc/console games.

I like the idea of an all-inclusive DB for cataloging the various editions of each, as well as gaming accessories (special controllers, memory cards, etc.).

FWIW, I am not speaking as a seller, but as a buyer/collector of plastic crap.
morgue_sludge
2 months ago
PS: "sports game equipment" (are we talking football gear or what?) is a big no for me, though... I am okay with including "outdoor games" like "Tic-Tac-Throw" or whatever, but not cataloging Spalding helmets.
EK_
2 months ago
Lawn darts.
BarryWallace
2 months ago
"sports game equipment" Yes!!!

All for it. If they are people wanting to buy plus sell, and people wanting to catalogue it.

It should not affect the guy wanting to do board games, video games, etc.

Football helmets, basketball, baseball bat, bring it on.
morgue_sludge
2 months ago
Football is a sport, though. You can play a "game" of football, but it's not a game in the media-oriented context we're talking here.

In other words, there is not an "official football" required to play the sport. You don't "buy" football in a store. You don't "collect" football, either. You just buy sports equipment in order to play it.

As a database, I'd like to think we're cataloging the game itself, and gear like memory cards and consoles and junk are merely extensions of that, whereas adding generic sports equipment is a reversal of this idea, because it's just the stuff you buy to play a theoretical/immaterial/conceptual "game"/sport, not an actual "game-product".

Furthermore, if we're calling sports "games" (in the context of "gaming"), and we're adding helmets and baseball gloves, we might as well be adding sidewalk chalk and jump ropes, too. Hell, why not add rubber tennis court manufactures? Why not have a bunch of entries that simply catalog rules of engagement for things like Hide-And-Go-Seek? Where's the limit?

Profit-earning convenience is not my interest, sorry. A quality database for physical games (as opposed to theoretical ones), and their relevant accessories, is what I'm interested in.

There could be a "Sportsogs" for all I care, but I think even that idea kinda dilutes the whole 'ogs brand a bit too much. Selling a bunch of random crap is what eBay's for. "Gamers" are not interested in wading through a mess of golf clubs and "gently used!" Taekwondo sparring gear from people who couldn't care less about the quality/content of the site itself.
BarryWallace
2 months ago
theoretical/immaterial/conceptual "game"/sport, not an actual "game-product".
But you need the equipment/accessories to play the game. Like video game console without a Controllers you will need to buy an individual one.

if we're calling sports "games" (in the context of "gaming"), and we're adding helmets and baseball gloves, we might as well be adding sidewalk chalk and jump ropes, too. Hell, why not add rubber tennis court manufactures.
This is exactly what I had in mind. No limits.

A quality database for physical games (as opposed to theoretical ones), and their relevant accessories, is what I'm interested in.
Well if one does a good job with football helmet and jockstraps why not. And it doesn't stop you from cataloging your stuff.

There could be a "Sportsogs"...Taekwondo sparring gear from people who couldn't care less about the quality/content of the site itself.
Well sell a bad product get a bad rating. Bad sellers are called out for it so are bad products. I added bad films on this site. Heck there is even a topic who started recently, about some of us who added DVD who will never sell because it is an introduction to some University class.

dilutes the whole 'ogs brand a bit too much
No you will see toasterogs one day...
EK_
2 months ago
Sidewalk chalk. Jockstraps. NO LIMITS!!

+1 BarryWallace
EK_
2 months ago
A few games we played as kids:

Fireworks Wars
- shoot opponents while avoiding their attacks
- equipment used: Roman Candles, Jumping Jacks, Firecrackers

Dirtbike Wars
- drag race down dirt road while attempting to wipe out opponent
- equipment used: motorcycle, rocks

BB Gun Wars
- shoot opponents while avoiding their attacks
- equipment used: BB/pellet gun, BB's and/or pellets
- optional equipment: broken tree limbs (to be used only when out of ammunition and player attempts a final 'suicide attack' on opponent)
EK_
2 months ago
I forgot to add 'lighter' to equipment list for Fireworks Wars. Apologies.
EK_
2 months ago
Gameogs cannot forget to include the entire lot of drinking games and equipment required to play.
BarryWallace
2 months ago
Sidewalk chalk !!!! All for it!!!