Does there have to be a "Film" for every "Release??

For example.This video contains many short films. Theoretically, they could all be linked once those "Films" are submitted, right? http://www.filmo.gs/release/177-The-Spirit-Of-Mickey-His-Most-Treasured-Moments

Or, none of them could be submitted and that would be OK too?

The concept is the 'Film' carries data such as the data first shown, the credits etc. That means that data doesn't need to be repeated for every version of the film.

It may be that it shouldn't be a requirement to add the Film, and that that data could all be added to the Release. But really for most cases, the split will make sense.

For the Mickey Mouse example, if the individual Films were released individually, there would be an argument for submitting them as individual films. But if not, or if in doubt, it should be fine to wrap them all up in one Film for now.

In the case of this video, some of the "films" were released individually (like Steamboat Willie) and some are part of tv shows, etc. So, here's what I'm thinking. I can submit a "Film" for this video and that "Film" would be of the same title as the "Release". However, in the Links section, could I theoretically link to both "Films"?

Just thinking out loud here, I need to rethink my concept of a "Film". I'm thinking of a "Film" as a video work released to the public at a theater and then later put out in various formats. How I'm now seeing "Film" is any body of work done in video format and released to the public.

in the Links section, could I theoretically link to both "Films"?

Yes.

Just thinking out loud here

That is fine, we all are. Really, at this stage, everything is up for discussion and rethinking.

I'm thinking of a "Film" as a video work released to the public at a theater and then later put out in various formats. How I'm now seeing "Film" is any body of work done in video format and released to the public.

A lot if the time, it will be one and the same really. But yes, I see the problem with things like animation, where a number of individual works may be rolled into one release, and may (or may not) have also been releases individually.

My gut feeling is a) it is ok to split them into their individual works, but also b) that shouldn't be a requirement, it should be ok to either enter the whole compilation (oh oh...) as a single 'Film', or indeed maybe not even enter the 'Film' (I'll need Kevin's input on this I think).

Thanks. For instance, I submitted this Peanuts box set which contains multiple TV films and TV shows. I've linked the individual films from the DVDs. http://www.filmo.gs/release/201-The-Complete-Holiday-Collection

I like it. I think something like this could and perhaps should replace the key release concept of the master release.

I've now added images to show why I linked all those films. http://www.filmo.gs/release/201-The-Complete-Holiday-Collection

Thinking further about this, I'm pretty certain that these DVDs were also issued individually. If so, they could theoretically be submitted by someone and also linked to the individual "Film" represented.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.