We’ve made some improvements to the submission form to make it quicker and easier for you to add your film releases to the database. It’s just like the old one… but better.

Here’s what you can expect:
- Clearer format. Drop menus with images ensure that when you’re making a choice of something that already exists in the database, you’re selecting the right one. If you’re typing an identical credit, it will automatically be highlighted and can be tabbed through
- Any possible duplicates are flagged before they’re saved to the database, avoiding double work and overlap.
- Better preview of data from the right column
- Mandatory submission notes! Much requested, and very logical. Now if someone makes a change to something you’ve added to the database, you’ll know exactly what.
- Errors are highlighted in the form so they’re easier to identify and correct
- Drag and drop credits so you no longer have to click the same button 5x to get the bottom credit to the top

If prefer to stick with the old way of doing things, you can find a link to the previous version at the top of the submission form.
Thanks to our early testers whose feedback provided the basis for further tweaks. We hope you enjoy this new version of the form. Try it out and let us know what you think!

Thanks I just gave it a go
It didn't quite work out for me, this happened for some reason
https://www.filmo.gs/release/244956-la-jetee-sans-soleil

but it looks great, nice work

@Dibb-s: Thanks for the heads up, that should be fixed now.

Used the new form - "add one like this" feature - and it was SO SLOW (for edits).

Also, I used a form submission program (auto fill type-thing) for frequently used terms, etc. No longer works with new submission form. That sucks.

@EK_: Yes the form has some performance issues on Filmogs for some reason.
This should not happen since the new form is built on a specifically performant library.

This is high on my priority list, expect a fix soon!

Not sure if this has anything to do with new submission form:

https://www.filmo.gs/release/245059-bad-grandpa

or this:

https://www.filmo.gs/release/245058-freitag-der-13

Previous, if I've edited a film, let's say added a link, and the date format on Premiere was not as the actual requirements say (or something like that) there was an info showing up, where the problem is, so I could easily fix it. On the new one there is only a really small point on the "required notes" field, stating "There were errors".
As in most cases, it is only the date format again, but how could I know if it did not happened before, or if something else was the error?

Also, I used a form submission program (auto fill type-thing) for frequently used terms, etc. No longer works with new submission form. That sucks.

Can you elaborate, which tool was this and what sort of use cases were you using it for?

Not sure if this has anything to do with new submission form:

yes, that was related, should be fixed now, thanks for the heads up.

As in most cases, it is only the date format again, but how could I know if it did not happened before, or if something else was the error?

@BadMoon: You are right, the form does fail with old data that doesn't validate with the new form. We hope to address this and make the errors more visible soon. Thanks for the feedback.

New form works nice. One problem, when you add a credit and you do not fill in the role, the submission gives an error (after submission). Maybe it's better to show the error before submission (in this case "role" is not valid, or something in good english :-) )

Auto-fill for things like format type and free text (capacity); id code types; aspect ratio; audio; color encoding; rating types; various things in chapters - things that saved time, instead of retyping the same thing over and over each time a release was indexed.

I've had trouble opening the new form with a submission with about 80 "chapters" on Firefox all day. Opening the form has been freezing Firefox. I've only just got it working in the last couple of minutes.

A suggestion: change the "move chapter" icon (the little four-headed arrow) to another icon. It looks awfully like the "cross" icon for deleting chapters, and I'd hate to make a mistake.

New form is really bad on Firefox.

@EK: It seems fine on my Firefox (61.0.1 on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

I can't say I'm a fan of the new form. It's pretty but I find it unwieldy and easy to get lost amongst the many boxes (release 'Credits' for example).

I agree with EK, it's a real pain having to type exactly the same thing every time. It probably doesn't help that the form's autocomplete attributes are set to gibberish (autocomplete="nope-0.23701492632753474" for example) rather than either "on" or "off". The gibberish would be interpreted by the browser as invalid and autocomplete would be turned off. Is there a reason for this as I think autocomplete="on"!

Getting that fixed would go a long way to making the new form much more usable.

We've noticed the performance issues on submissions with a lot of credits / chapters. We are investigating and hope to have it resolved soon. Will look into if these Firefox specific mentions too. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

@LiveAndrew: The field_names being garbled is on purpose and is to disable autocomplete on fields that use our own autocomplete/dropdowns (like credits and so on). It is done that way because not all browsers respect the "autocomplete=off" setting and then the browsers autocomplete shadows out the forms autocomplete making it harder to use.

I guess we missed the use case of autocomplete for commonly used fields, that is unfortunate. We will investigate wether we somehow find a solution.

I can't say I'm a fan of the new form. It's pretty but I find it unwieldy and easy to get lost amongst the many boxes (release 'Credits' for example).

Sorry to hear that. Do you think that toggles for showing/hiding those boxes might help, some other kind of form navigation or any other idea on how to make it more navigable?

Thanks again for the feedback. The form, like most things on the site, is a work in progress so we always appreciate hearing what users think.

@Kalli: It's more the fact that a single credit spans four rows (including headings) instead of just one, so if you add 10 credits that ends up taking up 40 rows instead of just 10! Everything seems to take up so much screen space! Same goes for release 'Companies' but the worst is probably release 'Format' which takes up a huge amount of screen space.

How having about a modal dialog for the complex sections? Click on 'Add Credit' and a modal dialog window opens with a sub-form, fill in the details, click 'OK', dialog disappears leaving you with the credit you just entered on a single line. Editing a credit opens the same dialog pre-filled.

Take this with a pinch of salt though as some people hate modal pop-ups just as much as I hate a multitude of boxes :)

My feedback:

Film submission form, genre drop-down is scrambled and in no order

Thanks for the feedback sound.and.vision and LiveAndrew. Will take a look at the sorting order of the dropdowns and have a think on making the form more navigable / compact.

A note on dropdowns in case you missed it, typing in the field will search the dropdown in the new form, making it easier to find the option you are looking for (they should of course also be in alphabetical or logical order).

The new submission form is a big improvement. Thanks for that. Some feedback that i had has already been said, so i'm skipping those.

I'd love to see dropdown menus be expended. For releases: Company Roles, Format, Codes, Color. For Films: Credit Roles.
That way we all use the same names. Now we have, Actor, Actress, Cast, Starring, Directed By, Director, Produced By, Producer. Same thing for Company roles. Everyones does their own thing.
I Know EK_ has changed quite a few on Format: Blu-ray, Bluray, Blu-Ray, Blue-ray, etc, etc. To avoid that you can add them to drop-down or use "tick-boxes".

Also i'm missing the preview button. To avoid typos, maybe add a preview button before saving?

Thanks for the feedback oteis, glad you like it.

I'd love to see dropdown menus be expended. For releases: Company Roles, Format, Codes, Color. For Films: Credit Roles.
That way we all use the same names. Now we have, Actor, Actress, Cast, Starring, Directed By, Director, Produced By, Producer. Same thing for Company roles. Everyones does their own thing.

This is a good point. It would be good to consolidate those. But then do people agree on which one to consolidate on? Or should we go with how things are listed on the release / credits screens? Maybe there could be one canonical way but with an option to expand, for instance you would pick "director" but you could add "directed by" kind of like an anv? Just thinking out loud here.

Also i'm missing the preview button. To avoid typos, maybe add a preview button before saving?

There should be a preview link in the right hand side bar above the notes input box.

There should be a preview link in the right hand side bar above the notes input box.

Thanks! I see it now.

One more thing. What is the "Tag" box for?

please please please add pre-filled subtitle options so we don't have to type 22 different subtitle languages. A selection box or some sort of dropdown. take a look at bluray.com submission form. it's insanely quick to list new submission.

^ I agree with Delish. Most European releses have like 10 subtitles available.

I agree with Delish. Most European releses have like 10 subtitles available

+1

Not sure if a drop down for subs would be good thing.

Many of the titles I index will have, for example, English (full translated subtitles) or English (limited subtitles for text and songs) OR if a title has an English dub, subtitles for that, too. NOTE: Limited subtitles are most often enabled automatically and are not listed as an option.

Cannot forget about Closed Captions - which some older DVDs either don't list or will list SDH as CC - not the same.

I think the simple solution is to have a lookup system that has the ability to add free descriptions next to the subtitle language.

I'm having problems with entering ANV's for credits. I haven't checked if it has the same problem with entering ANV's for Films on the release form.

Just had problems entering the correct company as well. I had to ad the Dutch company RCV for a release, but it only showed several RCA companies. In the end i used v1. to add the correct company.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It seems that the search is problematic in that "fuzzy" matches are being given more weight than exact ones, we are investigating.

Re. subtitles would a two-field solution be better, one with a dropdown and the other a free text one (similar to format)?

Re. subtitles would a two-field solution be better, one with a dropdown and the other a free text one (similar to format)?

Yes.

Now if we could get people to agree on what information and how it should be listed for AUDIO...

Before we go ahead with more improvements - can we look at the performance issues on large subs? TV boxsets are a misery to submit when you hit disc 2, just slows to a crawl!

It seems the "Films" have disappeared from the bottom of the "release-page"

It seems the "Films" have disappeared from the bottom of the "release-page"

This has been fixed, sorry for the inconvenience.

Not quite. When using the "add one like this" form, I removed the NV of the Film but the preview kept showing the previously entered NV (not the one I entered), I submitted it like that and the Film field didnt' show at all. I had to edit again in order to enter the Film.

@kwulf: Ah I see, yes the ui could certainly be clearer there. We will look into it. Thanks

NEW FORM SUCKS!

Spent over half-an-hour on an entry and when I hit preview - "Nothing To Preview" and the form was cleared. Plus the form slows the browser way down.

No more submissions from me.

Spent over half-an-hour on an entry and when I hit preview - "Nothing To Preview" and the form was cleared.

I’ve had a same problems. A time-out error. Apparently I was taking to long to add my submission. I’d like to see a draft option like on Discogs

Sorry to hear about the issues with the submission form, we're working on those performance issues and should have a solution out soon. If you can provide any additional details on what happens when you get a timeout or error message that would be helpful.
We're also working on auto-save for the submission form now. It's not quite as like save to draft, but it'll be an improvement on losing big submissions nonetheless.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The fixes and improvements falsepriest mentions have been released. Addresses the following problems:

• Submissions with long lists for instance dvd chapters (50+ items) load faster
  • If you leave a new submission before saving the data, opening the submission form again loads the data you had entered before you left.
  • If you are editing a submission and navigate away you will get warned that you might lose data.
  • If you try to preview a form with errors the form will tell you about the problems.

Do let us know if you have any more problems or suggestions.

p.s. NEW FORM ROCKS ;)

Looks terrific. Is there any way we can alter the form to where is an individual has several roles in a production, we can bring up their name once, then list each of the several roles they play on a particular production? For example, Wild Rovers: Blake Edwars, Director, Screenplay, rather than Wild Rovers, Blake Edwards, director, then list Blake Edwards, screenplay separately.

@bartondavis: Am afraid that is currently not possible no. But we will take it into consideration. Quite a common use case I suppose, but think we'd need a think on the best implementation and ux.

What is the link meant for in the release form. I’ve seen some people adding IMDb, but I think that should be in the Film entry.

What about the Alternate Titles fields?

The new form will show the language/title "couples" of the pre-existing entries the wrong way (title under language, language under title).
So we get titles in bold (which makes perfect sense to me):
https://www.filmo.gs/film/64687-as-good-as-it-gets

Correct (according to the new form) is the opposite (languages in bold):
https://www.filmo.gs/film/271810-2030-aufstand-der-alten

What is the link meant for in the release form. I’ve seen some people adding IMDb, but I think that should be in the Film entry.

Agreed, that makes more sense on the Film entry. I'm not sure what the real use case is for a link on a release, they are there because we added links to all document types.

The new form will show the language/title "couples" of the pre-existing entries the wrong way (title under language, language under title).

That appears to be an odd bug the fields are being displayed with the wrong labels in the form (you can see this if you look at the actual data for the entries you mentioned in the history view). We are looking into this.

we added links to all document types.

Yeah I noticed. Now we can add official web links to companies and credits as well. Thanks!

AFAIK the titles being the wrong way round bug is an old one - has it happened to anyone of recent? Might just be a task to sort out old entries.

I can't see much point in adding URL's to entries - as people may use it to point URLs to competitor websites for buying the release, which surely would not be in the interest of the website?

URLs for all other document types is really neat!

When adding credit, there is a drop down list with suggestions, that is fine, what is not fine is that when i look up a credit from that list, it is selected automatically. And if it is not the right credit, I need to delete and type again, and so on until I find the right one.

A, and when previewed, gives nothing, because there is a mistake, the mistake is apparently the title, that there is a title probably...what a time waste joke.

what is not fine is that when i look up a credit from that list, it is selected automatically. And if it is not the right credit, I need to delete and type again, and so on until I find the right one.

Thanks for the feedback pigstyman, we will address that issue.

when previewed, gives nothing, because there is a mistake, the mistake is apparently the title, that there is a title probably

I'm not sure I understand this problem, I could not recreate it. Do you have an example of a credit for which this happens?

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.