Following a discussion about where packaging should fall within a release submission and whether it merits its own field, we decided it does and and now it is!

As packaging is one of the few things all film releases have regardless of format, we’ve made it a required field for all release submissions, along with Title and Format.

Select the packaging type from the dropdown menu. If you’d like to add more specifics about the packaging, you can use the adjacent free text description box. You can also add more than one type of packaging per release if needed, e.g. for something like a box set or a release that has a plastic keep case and card slipcase. You can find more info in the Wiki

As always, it's iterative and we expect to make some additions and adjustments as necessary, so if we missed something, let us know.

Maybe this will slow the flood of crappy RELEASES. Users need to index from the physical item not website retailers.

Now that I've seen the new packaging field - not sure if I like it.

I like it. I wanted such a field and so far it feels like it is in the right place. Though presently I've only had time to add one release... but it was a pleasant surprise to find it.

Now that I've seen the new packaging field - not sure if I like it.
What would you add/change?

I think I'm doing this right:
https://www.filmo.gs/release/245879-30-rock-season-1
https://www.filmo.gs/release/128499-a-series-of-unfortunate-events
https://www.filmo.gs/release/8775-a-river-runs-through-it-the-mail-on-sunday

Yep, these look great to me, sound.and.vision

Maybe this will slow the flood of crappy RELEASES.

Not really currently someone is adding regular dvd’s with box-set in the packaging field. So keepcases and snap cases being added as box sets. He didn’t even bother linking the film to the releases.

I have a small request - that card sleeve (as exists in discogs) might be added to the drop down menu. I think the card sleeve is distinct from a slipcase. Also these are numerous in Europe where DVDs where given away as publishing promotions.

This is kind of strange: a RELEASE I entered a while back was edited and shows this in the new packaging field -

Keep case - Black, standard-size keepcase (INFINITI), cover wrap (full-color, single-sided), booklet (six panels; tri-fold; item #0RAW 02099-13), ["Sony Music On DVD Video" catalog]

Originally presented in NOTES as:
PACKAGING:
- black, standard-size keepcase (INFINITI)
- cover wrap (full-color, single-sided)
- booklet (six panels; tri-fold; item #0RAW 02099-13)
["Sony Music On DVD Video" catalog]

I think the card sleeve is distinct from a slipcase.

I agree lots of promo’s were issued in card sleeves. I know in the UK lots of films were distributed as a freebie with newspapers. Some news in the Netherlands released some as well.

Also slipsleeve should be added. These are the ones with opening on the top and bottom, right?

This is another problem - terminology

Slipsleeve - no; O-Card (vertical pass-through design) - yes

Many manufactures will call "card sleeves" JACKETS

O-Card (vertical pass-through design) - yes
Thanks! Yes that’s the one.

Many manufactures will call "card sleeves" JACKETS.
Correct, but Card Sleeves is also a very common conception. I’m fine with either one of those.

Agreed - nomenclature can be tricky. 'Cardsleeve' is already used over in Discogs - and what they describe there is precisely what I mean, here's an example:

https://www.filmo.gs/release/252438-silkwood

I first saw them widespread housing newspaper promos in Greece, so I would expect a fair number of submissions from there eventually. It took the UK quite a few years to catch on.

O-card: I like! It's good and specific.

This is kind of strange: a RELEASE I entered a while back was edited and shows this in the new packaging field
That was me, but feel free to change this as you see fit, EK_. I moved that info from Notes to the Packaging field as I wanted to add a Film to that Release so I could group under artist and couldn't save without Packaging info.
Thanks all for the solid suggestions for additional packaging types, we'll get these added to the menu.

Re: Cardsleeve releases mentioned earlier.
Indeed this packaging was and still is popular in Greece, especially in promos and giveaways.
See for example all entries under this series:
https://www.filmo.gs/company/165098-khruse-tainiotheke

Also Laserdisc doesn’t have an accurate packaging option. I noticed one user is using Digipak, which is incorrect.

Re: Cardsleeve releases mentioned earlier.

We've added Cardsleeve

Also Laserdisc doesn’t have an accurate packaging option

What would be the correct one there?

Re Cardsleeve, Great news kalli!

Re laserdisc. I'm curious what people think. The configuration is exactly like a vinyl LP release. Card outer 'Jacket' and paper and/or plastic dust 'inner sleeve'. But I have no idea what this configuration is known as by the industry?

What would be the correct one there?

Not sure... maybe Jacket, the Description field for further descriptions like gatefold? I don’t have any laserdiscs.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.