What is it... Color or Colour. The release form reads Color, but the release page reads Colour...

Reminder. This needs to be addressed.

I thought it was Kulur... :)

/bumped

Go by the release. I put every release that lists "Color" as "Color", and every release that lists "Colour" as "Colour". It's that simple.

Go by the release. I put every release that lists "Color" as "Color", and every release that lists "Colour" as "Colour". It's that simple.

So in that case I should go with “Kleur” and “Zwart/Wit” for black and white? That can’t be right!? Someone should make a decision on this.

Color/Colour are the two options given. If it's a "Colour" region disc (PAL zone), use that. You're really complicating this unnecessarily.

Color/Colour are not 'the two options given'. That is a free text field, meaning anything can be typed in. If Filmogs want a limited range, they can force the issue by using a drop down menu.

Personally, I have sympathies with entering what is on the release, since it is another identifying factor. This is why I enter 'B&W' when a release states 'B&W' and 'Black and White' when it states that. Following this logic if it states 'Kleur', perhaps the user should put 'Kleur'. I cannot see that it is problem for (e.g.) a Dutch release to feature Dutch language. Besides, such differences are already in the database with the way 'minutes' gets abbreviated.

An issue then only gets complicated when nothing is printed on the release - as happens quite frequently in my experience. Perhaps it should be left blank. Or filled in with a note that it isn't on the release. If filled in, a judgement call is required. However, it seems to me that a useful suggestion is there made by morgue_sludge: that PAL might use 'Colour' since that is the format used by countries like Australia, NZ and UK who spell the word that way. Only Canada is left adrift then, since they use NTSC. Though I can only assume many releases there have 'color' printed on them so perhaps they are used to that?

Oteis opened this thread because the site itself lacks consistency, not what users enter. Though I quite like the fudge, because that way I am only forced to read the American spelling half the time. ;P

Personally, I have sympathies with entering what is on the release, since it is another identifying factor. This is why I enter 'B&W' when a release states 'B&W' and 'Black and White' when it states that. Following this logic if it states 'Kleur', perhaps the user should put 'Kleur'.

Interesting thought... I hadn’t thought of that as an indentifying factor. Though it will open another can of worms. How about the special features. I normally try to translate the info and put that in the notes field.

There should be drop-down with available options. Simple.

An issue then only gets complicated when nothing is printed on the release

How? View the content and figure it out. Users are supposed to have the actual item in their possession when adding a release.

"Color/Colour are not 'the two options given'."

They're the ones implied/directly listed for "colo(u)r", and it should be obvious as an either-or scenario--specifically for "color" versus "colour"--because this is an English-language website. We enter data in English for everything but titles.

There should be drop-down with available options. Simple.

+1

Sorry to hijack...but same goes for most of the other free text fields.
Companies, identifiers, encoding, aspect ratios, credits on films
Why oh why are these free text fields???
Only thing that happens is a mess.
There will never be a proper way to sort things on this database IMO

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.