Correct: https://www.filmo.gs/company/10502-Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer

I’ve tried to find this “correct” version of MGM quite a few times, but it doesn’t show when entering the correct company. Meanwhile https://www.filmo.gs/company/187502-metro-goldwyn-mayer has become an active company again. Any help here would be useful. For now I like many others I have decided to go with the “incorrect version again.

hmm, this may have to do with how we handle dashes in the autocomplete/dropdown search. Will investigate.

But just to clarify:

Mirva has searched about this and posted this in the duplicate company thread.

The correct spelling has always been "Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer" (probably because it was formed from the merger of three film companies), this can be confirmed from various sources, including their website.
http://www.mgm.com

So the correct one should be https://www.filmo.gs/company/10502-metro-goldwyn-mayer

This is why incorrect companies, credits, duplicate releases should be completely deleted.

"The rationale for keeping incorrect entries around is for historic reasons and for cases of dispute that might arise later. But merged/duplicate entries should not be visible in search results, when browsing or attaching them to a submission (but only if you have a direct link)"
- Quote from STAFF.

It doesn't work.

This is why incorrect companies, credits, duplicate releases should be completely deleted [...] [Merging] doesn't work.

I'd argue that it mostly works and that the benefits are greater than the problems. In this instance it isn't working because of a technical bug with the search (that we will fix). Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer is not showing up in the linked entity search) which leads to new Metro Goldwyn Mayer credits being created.

Maybe for companies and credits the data loss isn't as great as for films or companies. But when the staff and community make the wrong calls and merge the wrong entries users and staff have been very grateful that the data from the merged entity is still around (rather than it having been totally deleted).

Thanks for the clarification oteis. I've merged that dupe. I'm sure new ones will pop up as the searching is still broken (as per my comments above). We will look into this bug of dashes/whitespace being broken in the linked entity search.

I've merged that dupe. I'm sure new ones will pop up as the searching is still broken (as per my comments above). We will look into this bug of dashes/whitespace being broken in the linked entity search.

Thanks. Hopefully it won’t take long. MGM is a large company which is added quite a lot. For now I use the “add one like this” option to find the correct company and overwrite the rest op the data.

Wait a second...when users report incorrect/invalid companies, they aren't editing all the RELEASES that contain the incorrect/invalid company - to the correct company?!

NOTE: One reason why images (front and back packaging - minimum) of the actual item a user is indexing are so important - can verify/correct data.

Wait a second...when users report incorrect/invalid companies, they aren't editing all the RELEASES that contain the incorrect/invalid company - to the correct company?!

They aren't being edited by hand. When we merge a duplicate all the documents that are linked to or reference the duplicate are updated and point to the original instead.

Agreed on the importance of good images.

This is still not working. It's impossible to link a release to https://www.filmo.gs/company/10502-metro-goldwyn-mayer , it doesn't show in the dropdown list when I type it, not even if I copy/paste the whole company name! The only way to do this is pick any release entry already linked to it, make a draft copy, delete all data except this particular credit and start there. Had to do this twice in the last couple of days. Counter-productive is an understatement.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.