Noticed that a particular user is adding IMDb links on their submissions - RELEASES. IMDb site describes movie, not physical release, and should be placed on FILM page.

What is the purpose for the LINK field in RELEASE submission form?

More movie info, concerning Actors, Directors, Producers.
That's why i'm putting the IMDB link there. No one makes any complaints about it.

Have you checked a FILM page for a particular movie?

The FILM page has fields for Actors, Directors, Producers and external links to sites such as IMDb - which describes the film itself.

From the filmogs wiki:

<pre>Film is the abstract description of the visual work. This includes data like the title, the actors, director and so on. Think of Film as a master, unifying version under which each physical release is categorized. Release is the physical manifestation of the film, for example, the DVD. It includes things like the companies that released it, the catalog number, and so on. There can be many releases per film. Also, one release can contain multiple films, for example, the Star Wars box set. </pre>

I think I would agree that the imdb link makes more sense on the film, films on here match more directly to films on imdb than do releases.

@LuckyLester: I (and EK_ I think) are not saying imdb links don't belong on here, but that they belong on the film and not the relase. For example the imdb link on this 12 Angry Men release makes more sense on the 12 Angry Men film that then links all the releases of that movie.

What is the purpose for the LINK field in RELEASE submission form?

I suppose in general it has less purpose on there than on other types. You can imagine specific releases or boxsets that have webpages that you'd want to link to maybe? But it was added to all doctypes as a first step.

OK. I guess you're right. But i will put a IMDB link on the films. I don't want to type in every name of every actor and director in that section. That's why the IMDB link. I will stop putting a link of IMDB on the release section.

But i will put a IMDB link on the films. I don't want to type in every name of every actor and director in that section

Great. I think that's totally fair and valid. Building out the filmographies is an iterative process too.

Another user is placing AMAZON.COM links on their submissions. Kinda defeats the purpose of the filmogs marketplace, right?

The external link field for RELEASES should be removed or disabled.

Another user is placing AMAZON.COM links on their submissions. Kinda defeats the purpose of the filmogs marketplace, right?

Yes, this is not what the links field is for and these will be removed.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.