I've been using the site heavily this past week, and I love it so far. But here are a few things I noticed that could possibly be improved.

-On film pages, can the releases be sorted by format? If not automatically, at least give me a drop down box to do so.
-Allow collection page on profile to be alphabetically sorted and allow me to search for a specific movie if need be
-If you search something in the search bar, it most likely gives you nearly every release on the site. Most relevant pieces of the search are in the first 4 or 5 items, then it gives you nearly every release on the site. Just give me those 4 or 5 options that contain the name in the release or film page.
-Possibly make it an option to make a "TV Series" page rather than just only "Film"? It'd be nice and less confusing to newcomers.
-On release pages, make some items a requirement rather than just let the person submit the pages with errors.

As for images, I propose a similar system to that of Discogs. The way I submit images goes as so:
-Front Cover
-Back Cover
-Photo of the Disc, Tape, or whichever format it is you're submitting
-Full picture of the insert (If applicable) (As in what the paper DVD insert looks like flat, VHS slipcase looks like flat, and so on)

Why I have the last one on there is for this reason: I can't tell you how many times I've had a single disc, and want a picture of the insert to go with it. This is so I can print it out if need be. If you're uploading scans however, do not make 1 separate image for the spine, that has very little use. Just crop it to keep it with the back cover crop.

Also, if you have one of those keep case VHS releases, please make a scan of the insert available on the release page as well. If you can, it is VERY much appreciated. Same goes for VHS slipcases.

Thank you for reading, and I hope to contribute more.

For VHS, here is what I mean: https://www.filmo.gs/release/299732-fists-of-fury

For DVD, here is what I mean: https://www.filmo.gs/release/301073-dirty-harry-deluxe-edition

• 1 - search functionality
  • 1 - TV Series category

• 1,000,000 - some sort of system to deal with the super crappy, no effort submissions that some users flood the database with; developers have suggested "DMing" the submitter and/or "leaving comments" - neither seem to correct issue.

• unsure about the "flat" image of entire DVD cover wrap. I think that looks shitty, but just my opinion. Regardless, the images should be from ACTUAL ITEM in user's possession.

I can't tell you how many times I've had a single disc, and want a picture of the insert to go with it. This is so I can print it out if need be.

Side note: From the beginning of using discogs, I wondered about posting scans and possible bootlegging. Same for filmogs.

There are many DVD releases where the first, say, 1,000 copies came with an exclusive insert, booklet, etc. If I were to post high-res scans of that insert, there is nothing stopping someone from printing it off and then trying to sell a release as something it is not. Maybe there should be some type of watermark added to images.

I think there needs to be clearer instruction about what information is applicable to RELEASE page and what is applicable to FILM page. More standardization and better organization of data. Filmogs has gotten better, but is basically a free-for-all.

Also, on the topic of the bootlegging, here is what I have also been doing with the images:

-front cover
-back cover
-front of the format
-picture of the matrix information on the DVD's inner ring (if applicable)
-full scan of artwork

That was a good point on the bootlegging, so it is important to include that image of the matrix in there as well. Sure, somebody could just print out the artwork and some artwork for the disc itself, but what they CAN'T do is put their own matrix information on there. It is specific to that disc. That would be some next level 1:1 bootlegging right there if they could replicate that.

I believe it is important to have the scan there, because somebody may need one to go with their copy. Someone else could use it for malicious intent, but would need everything to make a convincing bootleg. The same could be applied for cassette J-Card and CD's on discogs. Those pictures are up there, and anybody is free to use them. But it is very hard to make a convincing bootleg, as many are poorly made.

Allow collection page on profile to be alphabetically sorted and allow me to search for a specific movie if need be

This.
And sorting by date added would also be useful.
There's way more to do or add...but at least sorting in some kind of way should be possible

On release pages, make some items a requirement rather than just let the person submit the pages with errors.

Yes and to make any proper sorting possible:

• Identifiers should be fixed values available via dropdown.

• There should be a dedicated required field for the releaseyear, just like on films.

• Give a dropdown menu for color encoding systems

• The cat# should be enforced to enter, just like on discogs.

Some additions from my side regarding useabiltiy:

• While entering companies, credits and so on...when pressing tab the first search result should be applied.
    At the moment i have to press arrow down, enter, tab...pretty annoying

• Make it possible to invalidate profiles (!!), in some kind of way the database is a mess of duplicate entries and profiles at the moment. This works flawlessly on discogs.
    (Also the search results are kinda messy, "Warner Bros." can't be found for example, i'm forced to use the wrong "Warner Bros" profile.)

• Add a link of the "Identifying Film Classification Symbols" wiki page right under the classification field.(!?)

• Make the run-time field uniform

hey WolfXCIX, welcome to Filmogs, thanks for contributing and for the feedback.

The points you list are all good and valid. Most of these things have been discussed in the forums before as you hear from others (and yes, I know, the forum needs a search function!). Most of them are on our roadmap as well, its mostly a matter of prioritisation for us (just a small team working on Filmogs and the otner *ogs sites).

As for the picture. I can kind of see the rationale for full scans, but I also feel like that perhaps gets close to piracy/bootlegging territory as others have mentioned. I also feel like this is covered under the release image guidelines:

Any inserts or outer cardboard sleeves

On film pages, can the releases be sorted by format?

+1 sorted by format and by year if possible.

Allow collection page on profile to be alphabetically sorted

I’ve been waiting for that the last two years.

Possibly make it an option to make a "TV Series" page rather than just only "Film"?

Another one that we’re all waiting on. Just like Episode pages and music video pages and a request for music as a genre.

As for images, I propose a similar system to that of Discogs.

This has already been discussed and yes that system is the current suggestion.

>do not make 1 separate image for the spine, that has very little use. Just crop it to keep it with the back cover crop.

Why does that have very little use. Most catalog Numbers are on the spine. If you crop it together with the back cover they are harder to read because the rest of the image (back cover) is larger than the spine. Also I do not have a scanner. All my pics are shot with my phone. So for me it’s way easier to create them separate. Also I would like to suggest to leave the keepcase in the pic as well. That could also be an identifier. Some first prints can have a black keep case and a reprint can have a clear keep case.

unsure about the "flat" image of entire DVD cover wrap. I think that looks shitty, but just my opinion. Regardless, the images should be from ACTUAL ITEM in user's possession.

+1

Also I would like to suggest to leave the keepcase in the pic as well. That could also be an identifier. Some first prints can have a black keep case and a reprint can have a clear keep case.

+1

EK, I can understand that completely. But I would like to think that should be reserved more towards the notes section if anything. Because when someone goes looking for their release and they see two duplicate ones, they're going to naturally think "What's the difference?" and click on both pages. They will then see in either the notes next to the case description "clear case" or in the notes section, clear case.

I can see why you would want a scan of the insert in the case, but for me, I buy most of my DVDs and VHS tapes 90% used. Most of them have less than perfect cases, and most are dirty. Even if I do clean them off with a wipe, it would take quite a while just to not get it to have the marks off it. A lot of my cases have bubbling, tears, or other things of that nature. I would in my personal opinion not need to see that in order to decide or not if that is my specific release. I would refer to my other suggestion of including a scan of the inner ring of the disc to determine that. If not, I would use the notes. I understand everybody has a different way of finding their exact release, but I feel my way is how most people would search.

Also, thank you kalli for replying! Appreciate it! As I previously stated on the bootelgging, I can understand that, but it would take quite a lot to get it to look exactly like the release. Sure you can print out the scan, but most of these bootleggers do it on thick printer paper and make horrible cutouts for the disc itself. If you really want to know if you're getting a bootleg or not, just look at the images. And really, most of these DVD scans are available through google images to begin with, so all these lazy bootleggers are getting in the first place are low quality jpg images they have to stretch onto a Microsoft slideshow, making it look very pixelated.

And oteis, I said only if you can make a scan of the artwork. Your phone will work just fine, and in that case I more than agree that you can have just a picture of the spine. As for your ordeal on the catalog numbers being low quality, I don't understand. Even if you were to make a scan, and just crop it to have the border to look at the catalog number, it'll still be low quality because the photo is just as tall as the scan to begin with. There would be no difference.

Thank you all for contributing to this discussion! I really want to see this site grow and improve, and all these points were stating are relatively simple to add to the site. And to the staff, thank you for your consideration.

I think it's fine if people want to get their inserts all oil-stained and bent up pulling them in and out of DVD pockets. But it'll never be a requirement, thank god. I am also part of the crowd which prefers the scans in-case. It just looks right to me that way, even if it's less "clean".

Definite "no" vote on watermarks from me, though. Ew, ew, ewwww!

Oil Stained? Bent Up? How do you pull your inserts out?!?!

To prevent oil-stains, do not remove cover wraps//inserts after applying lotion to yourself or a friend.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.