Should a professional wrestler credit page list ACTUAL (legal) name rather than the performer's gimmick//in-ring persona name?

Most of the ones are real names on here a few are not.

I realize that. I was curious as to which way the "community" feels is correct.

I would think it should depend on by which name they are known best. For example, when Dwayne Johnson started his film career, he was credited as "The Rock". But now he is more commonly known/credited as "Dwayne Johnson". So in that case, I would use his real name.
If the credit were for Mark William Calaway (who I didn't know the name of until I looked it up), I would expect the credit page to be titled as "The Undertaker".

(also, I know he is now considered an actor more than a professional wrestler. just using him as an example.)

Mark calaway is credited mark calaway on here. We use as for the undertaker etc here.

The only ones i have found that use the gimmick name is Kane (2), The Sandman and Daniel Bryan all use gimmick names on here.

I consider it good general practice to submit legal names for profiles and then set ANV's, especially when it comes to "high-profile" individuals, for whom legal names can easily be found through numerous or otherwise reliable sources. Still, it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.

There are certain credits where the legal name behind the role isn't known to the general public. Such information might not even be accessible/reliable within the limits of "general public research".

SUPREME!!!

https://www.filmo.gs/credit/321163-supreme

Should be Lester Perfors.

morgue_sludge wrote:

I consider it good general practice to submit legal names for profiles and then set ANV's, especially when it comes to "high-profile" individuals, for whom legal names can easily be found through numerous or otherwise reliable sources. Still, it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.

There are certain credits where the legal name behind the role isn't known to the general public. Such information might not even be accessible/reliable within the limits of "general public research".

True using the real name is better

I'm not entirely sold on the idea that a real name usurps stage name. By this logic Cary Grant becomes Archibald Leach, when 95% of those viewing his films have never known him as such.

This database isn't trying to be wikipedia, it's a moving image physical media database. If Cary Grant appears on credits and packaging of a DVD (&c) he should appear as such. It is 'Cary Grant' that will take users to the correct releases.

Also - I've not seen an ANV facility against credit profiles. Only a note field.

there is a anv field a pencil far right on the name click that and you can add an ANV.

Are ANV's searchable?

I hope we get ANV search it would help heaps.

but that funtion does not work on filmogs

Nope - I don't have ANV pencil. I've tried on Safari and Firefox. I'll alert the developers.

I don't believe ANV's are searchable (yet), but that may just come down to the site's overall poor search functionality. Either way, it'd be a welcome update.

following the guidelines of Discogs an Alias would be appropiate. both names stage name and real name could be entered if named on release. In profile they can be linked. In future it would be great if an ALIAS field would be created by developpers.

oteis wrote:

following the guidelines of Discogs an Alias would be appropiate. both names stage name and real name could be entered if named on release. In profile they can be linked. In future it would be great if an ALIAS field would be created by developpers.

1+

This is highly needed.

Can I just get clarification on this, the logic is to refer to wrestler credits by their legal names where possible?

Also how pedantic should they be named, for example Jeff and Matt Hardy's legal first names are Jeffrey and Matthew, while they are more commonly known by their shortend names, so which would take priority?

TheWho87 wrote:

Can I just get clarification on this, the logic is to refer to wrestler credits by their legal names where possible?

Also how pedantic should they be named, for example Jeff and Matt Hardy's legal first names are Jeffrey and Matthew, while they are more commonly known by their shortend names, so which would take priority?

It depends on how it is first added into the database and how it apperes in the credits.

For example Jeff Hardy and Matt Hardy are both fine, but if it apperes as Jeffrey Hardy in the credits section then add an ANV, don't make a new credit for the same person.

Jo_Store wrote:

It depends on how it is first added into the database and how it apperes in the credits.

For example Jeff Hardy and Matt Hardy are both fine, but if it apperes as Jeffrey Hardy in the credits section then add an ANV, don't make a new credit for the same person.

What credits? I have rarely seen any credits on a wrestling show, and when I have they have mostly been in regard to the non wrestler staff involved on the show. I guess you can get why I refered to Jeff Hardy, on the WWF - Invasion page, his credit is Jeff Hardy, he appeared as Jeff Hardy, yet you changed it to Jeffery because IMDb had him down as such.

Also can you direct me where to imput this ANV as there does not appear to be field for that, just title, profile and links.

On top of this, would it be best to go through and rename credits that under their ring names with their real names?

The pencil near the right corner of each credit.

you don't have to get agro over this there are more issues then a anv isue right now.

Also when i said how it apperes on the credits i was refering to IMDB.

Who's getting aggravated?

I'm just looking for clarity before continuing, as you can see with both ring and real names being used here with no consistently it's hard to do anything without searching every name a wrestler has gone by to check if there is already a page.

The ANV you are refering to is the one on the film page listed as a credit name variation right? Are those names searchable, because unless they are it just seems trivial, also is this not an incorrect use as it sounds like ssomething for when a credit is miss spelled or spelled in a different way.

And I can see there are multiple issues right now with this being rather small, but wouldent cleaning up what's already here be useful and I'm just here trying to do this correctly without adding to duplicate pages.

As the CREDITS pages are currently set up, I suggest entering wrestler credits like this:

https://www.filmo.gs/credit/308302-sean-waltman

It is very easy to search for wrestler names and variations using the The Internet Wrestling Database - which I would also suggest as an external link before Wikipedia.

An alias field (searchable) would be nice for CREDITS page; maybe shouldn't call the field ALIAS as it could be used for name translations etc (see the MANY Russian credit pages).

NOTE:

SUPREME!!!
https://www.filmo.gs/credit/321163-lester-perfors

wrestlingdata.com is much bigger then that db.

That's the db i use it tracks pioneer wrestlers where the internet wrestling database dosen't.

It alao tracks heaps more indie wrestlers.

A system for alternate names similar to what is available for films would be ideal, it would also help with the various credits using non-English text names.

I personally prefer Cagematch.net myself, although for the pages currently up most wrestlers could be found through Wikipeddia.

I've gone through all the pages of wrestling "films" and gone through the credits and hopefully changed credits under ring names to their legal names, so hopefully there should be minimal duplications, I'm going to go through and make sure they all have profiles, links and pics.

The two I have not changed were Hulk Hogan (Terry Bollea) and Roddy Piper (Roderick Toombs), I think they may have been credited in films under their ring names.

We need a alternative name search field to make sure duplicates don't happen.

Like in discogs for example if i was to type in The Undertaker Mark Calaway would pop up.

I think this would help reduce duplicates.

But until the staff/devs here bother to change anything regarding that at least we can work on the basis that every credit that I could find is now under their legal name.

Though what about the ones that have not given there legal name to the public i made a few a bit back but could only add there wrestling name i couden't find a legal name for them.

https://www.filmo.gs/credit/340810-zokre

https://www.filmo.gs/credit/340811-phoenix-star

Use there main ring name until they reveal there legal name or just leave them as it is?

Considering the direction this thread was going in was to prioritise birth/legal names, I'd say if they are public/known use them, if not use their most known ring name.

Pro wrestling is awesome, but it is scripted and those are roles these individuals are playing. Real names, with searchable "also known as" field.

TheWho87 wrote:

Considering the direction this thread was going in was to prioritise birth/legal names, I'd say if they are public/known use them, if not use their most known ring name.

Cheers i think its good until they provide there names

Be consistent.

Another one using there ring name.

https://www.filmo.gs/credit/342869-kamala

James Harris is his birth name.

https://www.filmo.gs/company/353348-universal-wrestling-federation

Are you sure this is the Bill Watts UWF?, as that's the logo you added. Going through the credits of the linked film, some of them don't appear on Watt's UWF roster but do on Abrams' UWF roster

And on their Wiki page it has Bruno Sammartino down as a commentator.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Wrestling_Federation_(Herb_Abrams)

It can be an easy confusion.

Argh, i know Bruno is on the dvd as a commentator i was not aware there was 2 UWF's

This is Herbs Abrams UWF.

I fixed the logo and corrected the profile.

It's very easy to confuse the two, I think even WWE did it in one of their documentaries.

Wow i thought the WWE knew lots of wrestling.

I just hope i can get some footage on Soul Train Phillips now, been searching all over to joint for him trying to complete tge early ECW collection 92 - 94.

Looks like i have alot of UWF to watch haha as there is heaps on youtube lets trt and put a face too Soul Train Phillips.

WWE famously only knows and cares about WWE.

Chances are the only way to get hold of that footage is to be lucky to get into the WWE archive, or you just need to be under contract, they allow anyone to request footage from the vault while under contract.

All i knew about Soul Train before last night was he worked at a ECW Houseshow in 92.

Mostly all of the UWF footage is on youtube, so ill have a fun day haha.

Anyone have anything on the anchor? another ECW wrestler from 92 who had one house show.

Early ECW is not my thing, if anything I'm only intrested in hunting down the Delta PPV releases, as they are the only way to properly watch the PPV's without the music being edited (No WWE Network, Bad!).

ECW 92 isnt included on the wwe network it was rarly recorded it was from 93 - 01 when the network added ecw.

I might give delta ppv a try, and i found soul train in some gwf footage lol he got destroyed by legit every wrestler he versed a real jobber haha.

whoops ment uwf not gwf

You're lucky they're not chinese martial arts actors from the 60's-80's, many of them have 10 or more aliases, not including the imdb bastardizations.

Really, the problem is moot. All variants should have a page, they can be combined, linked or turned into redirects at a later date.

When I first started using discogs in 2003 it was chaos and appently it's unavoidable, else it wouldn't have happened here too.

Some wrestlers like David Heath aka Gangrel aka Vampire warrior aka El Vamp aka Vampire aka Blackheart Apocalypse aka what other ring names he has.

he has about like 10 maybe more ring names.

and don't forget kid kash in his early days just about every ecw event he would change his ring name until he decided to stck with kid kash.

Nivekian wrote:

Really, the problem is moot. All variants should have a page, they can be combined, linked or turned into redirects at a later date.

True, although due to the breaks by the staff, I think it is besst to try as possible to keep these credits down to one page each.

Jo_Store wrote:

Some wrestlers like David Heath aka Gangrel aka Vampire warrior aka El Vamp aka Vampire aka Blackheart Apocalypse aka what other ring names he has.

he has about like 10 maybe more ring names.

and don't forget kid kash in his early days just about every ecw event he would change his ring name until he decided to stck with kid kash.

I'd argue David Heath should be credited as Gangrel, it's been his most prominant gimmick, the same with Kid Kash.

Yeah i just changed David Heath to Gangrel.

would Oscar Guitarez or what ever his real name is be better as Rey Mysterio?

Jo_Store wrote:

Yeah i just changed David Heath to Gangrel.

would Oscar Guitarez or what ever his real name is be better as Rey Mysterio?

I'd go with either Rey Missterio Jr. or Rey Mysterio, they are both his most known names, one from his WCW run and the other WWE.

I noticed the credit Rodney, I had already added him as Rodney Lienhardt, mostly because I feel having one name wrestlers such as Rodney might have been confusing so I added his real last name.

it didn't pop up when i enterd his name strange

guess ill reuse it.

Doing a little wrestling clean up here, I've found this
https://www.filmo.gs/company/310146-tna-wrestling-production

It's listed as a copyright/production for TNA releases, I'm assuming this would make it a company page similar to WWE's meaning this could be retitles to Impact Wrestling.

On a similar note, any disagreement on the following being turned into "World Championship Wrestling, Inc.", as there never was a WCW Home Video, all their releases were made and distrubited through Turner Entertainment and Warner Bros.
https://www.filmo.gs/company/315793-wcw-home-video

Yeah the TNA one should be set up as the wwe copyright

And maybe just World Championship Wrestling? because on some wpreleases for wcw it only has the wcw logo and turner as a distributor.

Unsure why wcw home video even is used?

I think it might have been a carry over from someone adding WWE Home Video, I've never seen anything with a WCW Home Video and all WCW releases I own were put out by Turner Entertainment or Warner Bros.

I've updated both pages.

Yeah most have Turner or Warner as distributor, while they have a copyright and then some just have the wcw logo on it.

Cheers for the clean up.

i added a tiny bio to impacct.

ill do the same to evolve.

Since they were bought out by Anthem they are a Canadian promotion but them the small details.

I removed the bio from WCW since it was mostly nonsense about WCW Home Video.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.