Should a professional wrestler credit page list ACTUAL (legal) name rather than the performer's gimmick//in-ring persona name?

Most of the ones are real names on here a few are not.

I realize that. I was curious as to which way the "community" feels is correct.

I would think it should depend on by which name they are known best. For example, when Dwayne Johnson started his film career, he was credited as "The Rock". But now he is more commonly known/credited as "Dwayne Johnson". So in that case, I would use his real name.
If the credit were for Mark William Calaway (who I didn't know the name of until I looked it up), I would expect the credit page to be titled as "The Undertaker".

(also, I know he is now considered an actor more than a professional wrestler. just using him as an example.)

Mark calaway is credited mark calaway on here. We use as for the undertaker etc here.

The only ones i have found that use the gimmick name is Kane (2), The Sandman and Daniel Bryan all use gimmick names on here.

I consider it good general practice to submit legal names for profiles and then set ANV's, especially when it comes to "high-profile" individuals, for whom legal names can easily be found through numerous or otherwise reliable sources. Still, it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.

There are certain credits where the legal name behind the role isn't known to the general public. Such information might not even be accessible/reliable within the limits of "general public research".

SUPREME!!!

https://www.filmo.gs/credit/321163-supreme

Should be Lester Perfors.

morgue_sludge wrote:

I consider it good general practice to submit legal names for profiles and then set ANV's, especially when it comes to "high-profile" individuals, for whom legal names can easily be found through numerous or otherwise reliable sources. Still, it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.

There are certain credits where the legal name behind the role isn't known to the general public. Such information might not even be accessible/reliable within the limits of "general public research".

True using the real name is better

I'm not entirely sold on the idea that a real name usurps stage name. By this logic Cary Grant becomes Archibald Leach, when 95% of those viewing his films have never known him as such.

This database isn't trying to be wikipedia, it's a moving image physical media database. If Cary Grant appears on credits and packaging of a DVD (&c) he should appear as such. It is 'Cary Grant' that will take users to the correct releases.

Also - I've not seen an ANV facility against credit profiles. Only a note field.

there is a anv field a pencil far right on the name click that and you can add an ANV.

Are ANV's searchable?

I hope we get ANV search it would help heaps.

but that funtion does not work on filmogs

Nope - I don't have ANV pencil. I've tried on Safari and Firefox. I'll alert the developers.

I don't believe ANV's are searchable (yet), but that may just come down to the site's overall poor search functionality. Either way, it'd be a welcome update.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.