"Before you begin submitting data into the database ensure you have a physical copy of the item in front of your person." really limits what users are able to contribute. I don't expect to purchase every release medium for every film. And I doubt that all Filmogs's users combined would qualify for that either. I would guess there is much prohibited information that has been added to Filmogs.

When I submitted the Blast Films DVD release for Enchanted Journey, I owned a physical copy. But, I also knew about the 1986 VHS release from Hi-Tops Video from when I was a child & was able to find some information on it browsing the internet. But, being that the film was not a super success in the United States & Hi-Tops Video has ceased to exists, copies are extremely rare. So that entire submission is invalid & should be deleted as I did not have a physical VHS copy in front of my person when I made it.

It's the same on Discogs. It's not even a new rule. Surely you haven't been adding releases you don't own there, right? I believe this rule applies to every 'ogs site except Gearogs.

No one is forcing you to buy or contribute anything. There's enough issues with quality control, oversights and human error when it comes to submitting data without people relying on second-hand information or guessing at details. I'd rather have a slow trickle of good/decent entries than a lot of suspect ones where people just lifted or guessed at details or added no useful information.

Everybody has to budget and play the waiting game when it comes to collecting and the "joy" and "privilege" of scanning and sleeving and storing and cataloging their collections and stressing about water damage and house fires and the limits of "eternity". About whether or not any of it even matters and having an existential crisis every other week. That's just the way it is.

The same rules apply to discogs.

I dont own everything but i know having the item in front of you when submitting is fine taking only info from keep case etc, i never take info from 3rd party websities for releases.

Only for films for credits.

But here i own some of the items i submit, i own a store well a few actually now and that is when i submit most the movies comics posters etc.

One staff member on discogs saying if the item is in front of you at the time that is fine.

morgue_sludge wrote:

Surely you haven't been adding releases you don't own there, right?

I had just mentioned in the message before yours about a VHS release that I added a couple years ago that needs to be removed because I didn't have a physical copy in front of me when I submitted it.

AntumDeluge - your SINGLE entry of When Marnie Was There contained information from TWO SEPARATE RELEASES - and including ID Codes NOT present on the physical copies and incorrect format for the Blu-ray plus DVD release - so I corrected it. What is the point of copying information from an online retailer (or other site) when you cannot verify the data? Many users do this and it is completely lame.

I don't expect to purchase every release medium for every film. And I doubt that all Filmogs's users combined would qualify for that either.

No duh. That is why it is a community database. Each user can contribute what is in his or her collection. Adding RELEASES just to add them, or to increase contribution ranking, helps no one. If there is a question about data on RELEASE page, the original indexer cannot answer it, as they do not have the actual item.

EK wrote_:

...including ID Codes NOT present on the physical copies and incorrect format for the Blu-ray plus DVD release - so I corrected it...

I believe what you sad was:

...Plus this was not released in Blu-ray/DVD Combo Disc format. REMOVED...

So I listed proof that it was released in a Blu-ray+DVD combo. I think a better correction would have been to move the information over to a separate release or ask me to do it rather than just remove what I did.

You must have actual item in your possession to index. Do not add releases by scanning online retailers. Images should be of actual item you are indexing - meaning the item you own.

I assume that means that you don't believe that I own the item.

Either way, the VHS Enchanted Journey submission I mentioned above should probably be removed.

Actually, all my submissions should be removed (which aren't very many) because I elected to use scans of the media covers found online instead of scanning them in myself.

Blu-ray/DVD Combo Disc is a FORMAT = A single-disc with a Blu-ray side and a DVD side.

The Marnie release has TWO discs = 1 Blu-ray and 1 DVD

EK wrote_:

Blu-ray/DVD Combo Disc is a FORMAT = A single-disc with a Blu-ray side and a DVD side.

Thank you for that clarification. I would have appreciated that feedback in your initial response & I would have been happy to correct my error(s).

I find what I have exerienced of the Discogs community to be a tad unfriendly. But, either way, I may come around once in a while if I have something to contribute.

AntumDeluge wrote:

EK wrote_:

Thank you for that clarification. I would have appreciated that feedback in your initial response & I would have been happy to correct my error(s).

I find what I have exerienced of the Discogs community to be a tad unfriendly. But, either way, I may come around once in a while if I have something to contribute.

Some of the community is real nice, but others just want whats best for the databases.

Here is what our rules and guidelines say:

Valid Information - You must have the exact object, or an official document describing the object in enough detail, or a set of high quality images that gives enough detail of the object, in your possession when you make a submission. Basing your submission only on third hand information from websites, low quality images, or anywhere else is forbidden, as is entering information for planned object that haven't been manufactured. Objects can be submitted before the public release date, but the object must already be manufactured. (1.1.1.)

We (and Discogs) believe that this requirement is likely to improve data quality. Of course it is still perfectly possible to have the item in hand and make a low quality submission and it is possible to make quality submissions without having items in hand.

But we also think that it is possible to be strict on data requirements but being respectful and polite. And this is part of our guidelines as well:

Conduct Whilst Using The Database - Please be helpful and polite to other people. Do your best to submit according to the guidelines. Take care when altering the data, explain your edits when needed, respect the database, be open to discussion, and ask in the forums regarding any difficult areas if necessary. (1.10.1.)

I want to encourage everyone here to employ good faith and to be respectful both when writing to others and reading other peoples replies to themselves (we know this is hard, but it makes the whole thing much more enjoyable for everyone).

Also there are ways to contribute other than just adding releases. A lot of releases, films and credits already submitted need to be fleshed out with more complete data, including links, profiles, pictures and so on.

AntumDeluge wrote:

Sorry to hear this, hope that you do give us a second chance and that your experience will be more positive.

AntumDeluge wrote:

EK wrote_:

i actually change my view the community other then the staff myself and others are fine.

its just 3 people on the fourms who get agro 100% the time and i want to know is there a way to block those users because im worried if i say aomwthing harsh they will report me.

and then if i say it was all them staff will say oh sorry you saif the meanist words.

the names i will not say but they will know who they are.

if that not going to possible happen i will ignore fourms 100% and just add stuff.

Define "agro"

agro-
combining form
prefix: agro-
agricultural

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.