I've been adding a lot of releases to the database recently, and of course I'm uploading images to go along with them. What I've been noticing lately is that it looks strange when you click on the thumbnail to view it. The best way to summarize what I'm talking about can be seen in this release for a first VHS edition of Radiers Of The Lost Ark.

When you first go to the page, you get a normal looking thumbnail. The same image that I had when I uploaded it is seen from the initial thumbnail. But, when you click on it, you get that strange scan-line pattern on it. As if it had to "sharpen" the image, but actually makes it worse. If you click on it and select "open in a new tab", it still does it, but when you click on it to zoom in it looks just fine. When I download the image from the browser and open it, it looks just fine now. It's the exact same image I uploaded, but without those scan lines I was talking about.

I don't know what it is that makes the browser or image viewing system do that, all I can say is that the file is how I intended it to look, but something else is going on to mess with it. This has happened on other releases, but this is the most glaring issue I've come across. I have no idea if anyone else has this problem, but I just thought I'd mention it. Can it be fixed? I don't know. If anything can be done, please let me know. Thank you.

hey WolfXCIX, I've not been able to replicate this bug. We did recently change the images to display in higher resolution especially for higher resolution devices (which should make them sharper). This migh affect smaller or older devices.

I do not think it is an issue with the images being uploaded but rather with how they are displayed in different browsers / devices (so the data of the devices should not be affected). Can you tell us which os / browser you are using?

Curious if other users are having this issue as well. Do let us know.

This may not be the thread in which to ask, but I noticed this recently, which may also be a side effect of the change mentioned: https://www.filmo.gs/company/230586-the-fassbinder-collection

That image, which used to display normally, is now stretched to the point of blurring, and it takes up a huge chunk of the page.

Is it theoretically possible to (eventually) set things so that very long, narrow images like this do not display in such a way? Like, "if image ratio is withing x by x, then don't perform y function"?

Had an issue with image 'glitch' yestereday. DM'd developer.

It's been about 5 months since I've had this issue, but I have found a great solution to this problem: The image viewer on Filmogs does not have any sharpening applied to it, it just displays the image how it's scanned.

There was a whole image discussion I had over on discogs about scanning images, and I learned new information on how to better scan images for releases. When scanning images normally on a scanner, sometimes you can see that there are small circle patterns that emerge from the image. This is an effect called Moiré, a printing technique that is used for printing images. When you use a de-screening function (usually an option found somewhere in a scanner's software), it remedies this problem. You can read more about it and see examples here.

Why I bring it up again is because it changed the whole way I scan images, I never have this weird problem of having the images show up like the release I mentioned again. There's no weird stitching or line effect, it shows up just as how you would if you were looking at it in person.

I plan on going back and changing a few of the images I've uploaded for my submissions here, because some of them did not turn out too well. For instance take this release of Casablanca I submitted 7 months ago Vs. this release I uploaded today. It's a night and day difference, and there's no wavy effect that shows up.

It's strange that this happens on the other affiliated 'ogs sites but not Discogs itself. At least, not as prominent. Let me know what you think!

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.