Hi.

A thread named like this worked on Bookogs, so it might work here too to contact the "Staff".

Here is some user-friendly requests for improvments: (and also time saving).

COLOR ENCODING SYSTEM: Drop-down Menu:
NTSC
PAL
SECAM
+ others.

AUDIO: Drop-down Menu:
5.1 Dolby Digital(Surround)
2.0 Dolby Digital(Stereo)
1.0 Dolby Digital(Mono)
Stereo
Mono
dts
+ others.

RUN TIME:
If you want duration in minutes, please add a field with Minutes or Min. Pre-written, so we don't need to
type Minutes or Min. everytime. (just have to add the time).

LANGUAGE: Drop-down Menu.
Please, it would be time saving.

SUBTITLES: Drop-down Menu.
Please, really would be time saving.

And Pretty please.
You really need to do something about the COMPANIES.
Devide into 3 different:
Brand: The use of Logos on the release (ex. 20th Century Fox)
Companies: Printed (texted) use of the Brand (ex. Twentieth Century Fox)
Series: As printed on the release (ex. Widescreen Collection).

TITLE:
Just add the Title of the release. No Edition, Release Type or Film cut in this field.
Instead 3 new fields.

EDITION: with Drop-down Menu.
Special Edition.
Extended Edition.
Uncut Edition.
Unrated Edition
Collector's Edition
+ others.

RELEASE TYPE: with Drop-down Menu.
Retail,
Rental,
Promo,
Preview
+ others

FILM CUT: with Drop-down Menu.
Theatrical,
International Theatrical,
Workprint
+ others.

That's all for now.
Hope that you (The Staff) find these request and improvments useful and doable!

And i hope that you(The Users) would take these request and improvments into consideration.
It would benefit this site for better useage and more contributers would come onboard.
The easier, the better.

Thanx.
// zamla_71

Some of these have allready been asked and will not happen we have to make filmogs as simply as possibly.

Probably have a few other ideas, but one comes to mind...

On ratings.

Have ratings with dropdowns for each set of common rating systems (MPAA, Canadian, and other countries' systems, which might get populated when you select a specific region).. Would save a lot of time just selecting a rating with a preselected ratings system rather than typing them in both. I think this would encourage people to put in values for both Canadian and American rating systems for films too. One could also have a TV system rating systems selected if one indicates that the type of release is part of a TV series or a TV movie of some sort.

Add an additional rating box that one can add in addition to these that would indicate that bonus materials are on the disc that aren't rated.

Jo_Store wrote:

Some of these have allready been asked and will not happen we have to make filmogs as simply as possibly.

Sorry you feel that way! But that's not the way to develope this site.

mikewn wrote:

On ratings.

+1.
that's a good idea too. A Drop down menu in Ratings.
Myself personal do not care so much about the rating system, but if it benefits the site, it's Ok. I will use it if was to be mandatory.

mikewn wrote:

On ratings.

+1.
that's a good idea too. A Drop down menu in Ratings.
Myself personal do not care so much about the rating system, but if it benefits the site, it's Ok. I will use it if were to be mandatory.

I think a drop down on ratings would be ideal, the problem is if the staff will add all the countries or just the main ones.

Copy/Paste from country of origin from films?

Argh the rating system i was talking about where you have MPAA (USA) Canadian Home Video Rating (Canada) etc etc

Audio example given above is incorrect

Type of Encoding - channels - language

example

Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround (English)
Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono (Japanese)
Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo (Spanish)

and so forth

-

Canadian Home Video Rating System (CHVRS)

-

Titles and Companies have their own threads. Nothing new here.

Yeah many threads for all this.

and thanks for chvrs as well.

I support this! Though I think in some cases it would be more comfortable to have box to tick, for example subtitle languages.

what about closed captions?

The Australian ratings privided is wrong.

the ratings go

E - Everyone
G - Generael viewing
PG - Parental guidence for young viewrs
M - Mature
MA 15+
R 18+
X - XXX Films

oh whoops i was reading the tv one

well the staff listened but as i thought they only added NTSC, PAL and SECAM for encoding systems.

the audio has been added but looks like the staff are changing the rules because you cant add english french etc after the audio channel.

BIG MISTAKE with the audio drop down, Staff...

And the staff gives no reason as to why the changes were made. Shouldn't the forms get easier? The audio dropdown will now require users to add data in NOTES.

Whats next to flop?

Well i don't think the notes will work for the audio field.

They also did not take into account releases that have, for example, Blu-ray disc and DVD disc. Cannot specify which audio stream appears on what disc.

This is bad real bad, these fixes are not good the website is going downhill.

Agreed.

Here is how a REAL proposal for website changes should be done - from BOOKOGS.

https://www.bookogs.com/forum/541795-proposal-for-naming-convention-of-periodicals

As some of you have noticed we did just release changes related to this.

We picked the most commonly used types for each. Do let us know if there are specific other ones you think belong in those fields. Do note however that both of the fields that changed (Color Encoding System and Audio) only add shortcuts to the most common options. It is still possible to add other text (whatever matches your release).

Thanks for the feedback Jo_Store and EK_, though I think the tone could be more collaborative.

EK wrote_:

They also did not take into account releases that have, for example, Blu-ray disc and DVD disc. Cannot specify which audio stream appears on what disc.

I think this should be in its own field. Maybe in a similar way to how Packaging has both a Type and a Description field? Do you think that this occurs often enough to warant its own field.

Same for the language of audio tracks. But again is it common that the language tracks are in different audio systems or is enough to list audio tracks and languages separately?

kalli wrote:

EK wrote_:

They also did not take into account releases that have, for example, Blu-ray disc and DVD disc. Cannot specify which audio stream appears on what disc.

I think this should be in its own field. Maybe in a similar way to how Packaging has both a Type and a Description field? Do you think that this occurs often enough to warant its own field.

Same for the language of audio tracks. But again is it common that the language tracks are in different audio systems or is enough to list audio tracks and languages separately?

Yes. Examples:

https://www.filmo.gs/release/95917-shiki-part-one-blu-ray-dvd-combo-pack-limited-edition

https://www.filmo.gs/release/72271-dragon-ball-z-double-feature-super-android-13-bojack-unbound

https://www.filmo.gs/release/244515-dragon-ball-z-level-1-2

Another issue. Color Encoding.

Did not take into account releases that have, for example, Blu-ray disc and DVD disc.

Ok, I still think it makes sense to break those into different fields.

  • The encoding system (mandatory)
  • The language (optional)
  • Notes with any optional info (such as soundtrack info)

How does that sound?

Also as noted above, you can still enter values like the ones you mention above with the current form.

The encoding system you mean ntsc pal secam and other?

Please don't. All the current RELEASES will have to be edited...again. I still haven't finished adding PACKAGING field to all my old entries.

Audio
(Type)(Channels)(Language)(other)
additional description

Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono (Japanese) DVD <-- no brackets because formating issue on this page

Is there a way to use brackets and asterisk in forum posts?

EK wrote_:

Please don't. All the current RELEASES will have to be edited...again. I still haven't finished adding PACKAGING field to all my old entries.

If the data is well structured (using parenthesis like you mention) we would migrate that over to the new format when doing this change.

Old submissions would still be valid. But newer ones would be able to be entered in a more structured consistent way. I don't think we will get that consistency with a free form text box.

EK wrote_:

Is there a way to use brackets and asterisk in forum posts?

There is. As far as I know it is only when combined with parenthesis that they turn into links, e.g. [brackets] work. You can try out the preview button to see how your message will look or check the syntax page for more info on how Markdown works: https://www.filmo.gs/wiki/help:syntax

Markdown can be a bit confusing at first, but it is pretty widely used and easy once you get the hang of it.

kalli wrote:

If the data is well structured (using parenthesis like you mention) we would migrate that over to the new format when doing this change.

to clarify, migrate automatically/programmatically, so that this would not have to be updated by hand.

Can you please add hi-fi to the audio drop down menu its really needed for vhs releases.

quite a few releases are in hi-fi

Jo_Store wrote:

Can you please add hi-fi to the audio drop down menu its really needed for vhs releases.

quite a few releases are in hi-fi

Is hi-fi a specific format? Isn't it more a catch all term:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fidelity

kalli wrote:

Ok, I still think it makes sense to break those into different fields.

  • The encoding system (mandatory)
  • The language (optional)
  • Notes with any optional info (such as soundtrack info)

Encoding system as madatory field?
A lot of users may not understand the difference and it's not always printed on release...

vellozet wrote:

kalli wrote:

Ok, I still think it makes sense to break those into different fields.

  • The encoding system (mandatory)
  • The language (optional)
  • Notes with any optional info (such as soundtrack info)

Encoding system as madatory field?
A lot of users may not understand the difference and it's not always printed on release...

Most dvds, blrays and current releases its printed in a square box with the region and then on others its printed on its own either NTSC or PAL

unsure about SECAM releases i also think the region should be required because its printed on almost all current releases.

kalli wrote:

Jo_Store wrote:

Can you please add hi-fi to the audio drop down menu its really needed for vhs releases.

quite a few releases are in hi-fi

Is hi-fi a specific format? Isn't it more a catch all term:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fidelity

Unsure what you mean by specifit catch term?

i know Hi-fi is both reel-to-reel and was used on vhs releases.

Unless you mean Stereo?

Jo_Store wrote:

Encoding system as madatory field?

That comment of mine referred to the audio section, not the color encoding system. Sorry for the confusion.

And no, the field would not be mandatory.

Jo_Store wrote:

Unsure what you mean by specifit catch term?

i know Hi-fi is both reel-to-reel and was used on vhs releases.

As far as I know Hi-Fi is a general term used to refer to audio of high quality (without any specific definition of what high quality means).

That is to say HiFi is not a specific audio format or encoding technology (like Dolby Digital Stereo) or a clearly defined technical term like stereo and mono. I'm not sure it should be listed under this field or be an option there. But happy to hear counter arguments.

Is there a limit on the amount of pages you can go back, I'm looking to check up the old credits and I can't get beyond page 2500.

https://www.filmo.gs/browse/credit?page=2500

Thanks for the dropdown for audio. However, there is one issue where when you have different languages on a realease have different audio tracks (i.e. English only having Dolby Digital 5.1, and all languages for a release such as English, French, and Spanish having Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo, unless you replicate some of that info in the languages section, you can't make that distinction any more.

An idea. Enter in each of the languages, where after doing so, it would put a checkbox for each language after the audio track that you could select if a given language has that audio track or not. That would be a simple way to enter this info, and get it into a standardized form too to help with reporting, summarizing, etc. later too, and allow for providing an accurate depiction of which languages have which sound available in a given release too. Perhaps even have SDH and/or Closed captions checkboxes next to the subtitles too for each language too (though releases "imply" more which language has closed captions in each release).

Thanx kalli!

Updates works great!!!!
Keep 'em coming.

Jo_Store wrote:

the audio has been added but looks like the staff are changing the rules because you cant add english french etc after the audio channel.

EK wrote_:

BIG MISTAKE with the audio drop down, Staff...

Jo_Store wrote:

This is bad real bad, these fixes are not good the website is going downhill.

EK wrote_:

Agreed.

What are you nagging about?

This Release was just made and there were no problem adding the Audio the way you want it.
https://www.filmo.gs/release/353882-the-thing

I say this is an improvment. You don't have to type Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Digital 2.0 etc,etc everytime.

Just click the right one and add the(language).

It's easier to walk downhill, rather than climbing up the hill!

Thanx!

Maybe another idea that's more workable:

First select your audio types the way you do now..

Then after selecting them all, for each audio type there's a column of checkboxes next to each row of languages you select where you do something like:

(Dolby Digital 5.1),(Dolby Stereo)
Languages: (Dolby Digital 5.1) (Dolby Stereo) (unspecified)
- (English) o o o
- (French) o o o
- (Spanish) o o o
- (*Add Language):-------------------------------

(my tabs in the post here aren't spacing the "o" checkboxes over, but you get the idea I think...

A "Special Features" or "Bonus Features" field would also be good to have.

This also with a Drop-down menu such as:

Theatrical Trailer.
Trailer.
Trailer Show.
Behind the Scenes.
Commentary Tracks.
Deleted Scenes.
Extended Scenes.
Sneak Preview.
and so on + an additional field for entering what's not
in the Drop-down menu.

As little as possible should be written in the Notes field.

Thanx.

TheWho87 wrote:

Is there a limit on the amount of pages you can go back, I'm looking to check up the old credits and I can't get beyond page 2500.

https://www.filmo.gs/browse/credit?page=2500

I can go past 2500

Ok maybe not just displays a white page.

TheWho87 wrote:

Is there a limit on the amount of pages you can go back, I'm looking to check up the old credits and I can't get beyond page 2500.

This has been fixed, thanks for the heads up.

mikewn wrote:

Maybe another idea that's more workable

I think this makes sense, being able to select multiple languages per audio encoding. We are looking into the best way to implement it in the form.

zamla_71 wrote:

A "Special Features" or "Bonus Features" field would also be good to have.

Also a good idea. We will look into it.

Thanks everyone. We'll keep ironing out the kinks on this. Appreciate the feedback and patience.

Though what audio channel would i select if it is just printed with Hifi on a release

Just Stereo?

This has been asked in various places already, but is there a chance to have an alternate names section for credits to allow for english variants of foreign names as well as other names they have gone under, ideally searchable when linking credits to films although if it's just searchable in the search bar that's still an improvement.

Is there a way to display an external link, specifically for Wikipedia links by it's language, they all show as "Wikipedia" when entered, could it be possible to use it's regional url where it has for example "en." before Wikipedia to display it as "Wikipedia (English)" or .

There are a few pages that link Wikipedia in different languages as sources and while it's not hard to switch to an English page if there it one, just seems handy to identify if it links to an English or Japanese page for example.

Jo_Store wrote:

Though what audio channel would i select if it is just printed with Hifi on a release

Just Stereo?

Yes, maybe HiFi if that is all that is specified. I don't know if that's one where you go with what's listed on the release or with how it plays (mono, stereo, surround?). Maybe other people have thoughts?

TheWho87 wrote:

This has been asked in various places already, but is there a chance to have an alternate names section for credits to allow for english variants of foreign names as well as other names they have gone under, ideally searchable when linking credits to films although if it's just searchable in the search bar that's still an improvement.

Yes, this is something we need to improve. But one question is should that be a field on the credit itself, or should it just be added when an anv is added to that credit?

kalli wrote:

Yes, this is something we need to improve. But one question is should that be a field on the credit itself, or should it just be added when an anv is added to that credit?

Could the second option add a searchable name for that credit, for example if Chuck Jones was an ANV for Charles M. Jones on a credit, if someone was to search Chuck Jones would that link to Charles M. Jones?

I'm not all that versed on the Discogs systems and searching what ANV was it mentioned something regarding aliases that sounds like something that would be more useful.

Another small thing, can the roles for films have a bit of a clean up as there the duplicate roles for "Director", "Director Of Photogrophy" and "Edited By".

can we please get the format DIVX.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX

they required seprate players to any formats allready listed and i had to add one as a DVD because there is no DIVX format.

It was a form of DVD but required a seprate player like the HDDVD except divx was a rental form of disc.

Audio fields needs both Hi-Fi and THX
There are countless VHS releases before the 2000's that would often only put minimal information on the packaging.

I still say that more packaging types are needed as there are 7-10 forms of packaging for VHS alone. Clearer definitions of existing types should be written up (such as the differences between slipcase & cardsleeve, clamshell & keepcase, keepcase & snapcase, etc.(maybe pictures?)).

When it comes to alternate credit names, I'm not sure that it matters how it's implimented just that it is. A vast majority of actors have more than one alias, some have more than 10 and that's without mispellings/translations!

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.