The release has German cover artwork (front & rear & insert),
so territory should be Germany.
BUT: On DVD the English title "On The Waterfront" is printed above
the others, plus extra classifications:
BBFC PG
IFCO 15

Do we add Ireland and UK?

Anyone???

The disc has UK, Irish and German (FSK) classification. Personally I would at least add these 3 to territories. It also lists an Italian title, plus numerous language and subtitle options. You might want to add European Union too.

In my opinion, "Territories" should only indicate where the specific release was distributed. In this case, that would only be Germany.

That is the rules "where the release was distributed in" MBJensen is correct

Distribution. Yes, I thought the same.

BUT: Has this been defined or discussed so far?
If not: A help by the staff would be nice.

Others?

Territories

Enter the country or territory where this release was manufactured and/or distributed.

This information can often be found on the lower-half of the back cover.

taken from the release guidelines.

Thanx.

zamla_71 wrote:

Enter the country or territory where this release was manufactured and/or distributed.
1. "Territories" are only mentioned in filmogs-WIKI in connection with distribution and marketing.
2. As you know when operating with DISCOGS manufacturer often says nothing about country of release: "7.1.2. The country is NOT where the release was manufactured. A US label can release licensed recordings in Germany & Netherlands (perhaps manufactured in Austria). "

1. "Territories" are only mentioned in filmogs-WIKI in connection with distribution and marketing.
  2. As you know when operating with DISCOGS manufacturer often says nothing about country of release: "7.1.2. The country is NOT where the release was manufactured. A US label can release licensed recordings in Germany & Netherlands (perhaps manufactured in Austria). "

So it's the distibutor and/or marketer?
Should be explained in the WIKI / GL.

Once again:
Shouldn't we determine in GL/WIKI how we generally operate concerning territories?
Seem only like proposals here so far.

Bump

What's currently in the guidelines:

https://www.filmo.gs/guidelines/release#territories

territories

This information can often be found on the lower-half of the back cover.

Any specific proposed amendments or changes to that?

I was wondering if we should differentiate between 'manufactured' and 'distributed' - like we do in discogs. Country of making isn't necessarily the same country where the release is distributed.

I think the country (rep. territory) where the release is/was marketed and/or distributed should be crucial. So we perhaps should exclude manufacturing, or at least should handle it secondary.

I notice that in many cases region 1 dvds (U.S. and Canada) have language that the DVD is only licensed to be legally distributed singularily to one of these countries. Though for region 1 dvds I put in both countries for territories, if there is language that only specifies one of those countries, that is where I think this field is useful to explain that perhaps distribution is not just restricted on region boundaries.

The release has German cover artwork (front & rear & insert),
so territory should be Germany.
BUT: On DVD the English title "On The Waterfront" is printed above
the others, plus extra classifications:
BBFC PG
IFCO 15

country should be Germany. Sometimes in the copyright credits on the back of the release other countries could be added. In your case maybe other German speaking countries like Switzerland and Austria.
Most of the stuff i've added is from the Benelux, so that's what i enter.

What about a case like this?
https://www.filmo.gs/release/102418-die-geliebte-des-franzosischen-leutnants

Release has
-German cover artwork on front and rear
- on disk: FSK 12 BBFC 12 IFCO 15
- on rear printed as distributor: MGM Home Entertainment (Europe) Ltd.

Is territory Germany or Europe?

I'd say Germany because of the front and rear artwort + language

With multi-language region 2 releases the disc is same for many countries/territories, but what separates them and makes them unique releases in most cases is the cover art. Therefore, territory should be determined based on that. The problem, or difficulty, to determine the exact territory is for releases with multi-language cover-art or simply English language cover art, but obviously released outside the UK.

What if a 'box set' has movies originally made in different countries, but the set is manufactured and distributed in the US? I've been tagging the countries (mostly Japan).

I don't see why there has been such confusion on this, it's basically for the country the release was released in, nothing to do with the films on the release, just where the release came out.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.