Thougth we could use a dedicated thread on what is/isnt/could be sub genres.

And I'm going to start because looking about we have three sub genres currently that could be condenced into one.
- Comic Book Adaptation
- Superhero
- Supervillian

To me these could all come down to Comic Book Adaptation and would group them easier.

some movies like Agents Of P.O.W.E.R. are not a comic book adaption they are a low budget film.

Also

Bat thumb
Gargoyles
Robot Ninja
Split
Unbreakable

are also not based off comics.

I get that, maybe best to use both then. Best to enquire before making changes.

When I've been cleaning up old pages if they had a sub genre that was represented by a category or genre I've been removing them

Yeah i mean for marvel and dc comic films and actual comic adaptions i think using Comic adaption for them is best.

I've gone through all of of the films in Superhero and anything based on a Marvel or DC character/franchises I added the comic adaptation to.

I've gone through all of of the films in Superhero and anything based on a Marvel or DC character/franchises I added the comic adaptation to.

i like the "Comic Aaptation" sub genre.

i just noticed a new sub genre was added. 3D
I don't think this should be a sub genre. It's a technique.

oteis wrote:

i like the "Comic Aaptation" sub genre.

Don't be saying that AFTER I've changed them to Comic Book Adaptation.

oteis wrote:

i just noticed a new sub genre was added. 3D
I don't think this should be a sub genre. It's a technique.

It was already there as a sub genre, I think I used it on one, saw it was already a thing and just added, I do agree that it's a type of film, but also you can tell if your watching a 3D film in 2D as things tend to fly towards the screen, so the film has been made with the technology in mind.

An edit button would be nice...

I'd also argue it's as valid as a genre as Silent/Silent Film is, as that is also a technical type of film (limited by the technologies of the time) that can be considered a genre of film. There are also genres here based on on how the film is made such as Claymation, CGI, Marionette and Stop Motion, which are other types/ways of making films. So I'd argue all these along with 3D are viable sub genres.

On a related note I've also noticed that silent films are split into two Silent and Silent Film, I think it would make sence just to list them as Silent and I'll add that into my clean up.

Yes Silent film is actally considerd a genre i added a few i think 3 versions of Old Toms Cabin.

and i think there is a few Charlie Chaplin films on here.

A lot of what I use subgenre entries for are genres that are listed in imdb for the film, but not in the filmogs genre list. The most common example for me here is "biography", that commonly shows up in imdb but can't be entered in as a regular genre. There are a few others as well, but not as common.

I'd also argue it's as valid as a genre as Silent/Silent Film is, as that is also a technical type of film (limited by the technologies of the time) that can be considered a genre of film. There are also genres here based on on how the film is made such as Claymation, CGI, Marionette and Stop Motion, which are other types/ways of making films. So I'd argue all these along with 3D are viable sub genres.

True, though 3D movies can also be watched and in 2D. Silent film, claymation, stop motion, cgi etc can only be watched as such.

I'd argue there are some films made with 3D specifically in mind, and that the reason they are released in 2D if for those who cannot watch in 3D and for the home market.

I don't think 2d is a genre i mean most films are in 2d.

But we are talking about 3D films that were made intentionally with 3D tech in mind.

Would you argue that TV Movie is a sub genre or would it just be considered a feature film?

TheWho87 wrote:

Would you argue that TV Movie is a sub genre or would it just be considered a feature film?

I know filmogs dosen't want it as a category but unsure if it should be just written in notes or as a sub genre.

Yeah, I think if it's in the notes it does not need to be a sub genre.

Also I've finished cleaning up what was the Music sub genre, they were mostly music videos with a few concerts, basically upgraded it as a main genre.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.