Are bootlegs / home media reccordings allowed on this database.

the rules say "A release is any physical video release on DVD, Blu-ray, VHS, LaserDisc, or other format, made to be played at home" which it does not state / say bootlegs are not permitted.

it only says blank media is not allowed nothing about bootlegs i have a few bootleg vhs tapes here and unsure if i can upload em before i bin them.

this is from the guidelines.

Bootleg, counterfeit, or pirated items are not eligible for submission.

Thanx.

^They should be, though (as they already are on Discogs. And I can't comprehend why not here). I've explained why before:

I think bootlegs need to be added, and in great detail. It makes the harder-to-detect ones that much easier to research and avoid. Don't you?

I could go on about other finer points, but I think that is the most significant reason why (marketed, not privately/anonymously sold) bootlegs warrant inclusion here.

IOW, if you didn't buy it on DVD-r out of someone's trunk at the gas station, why not? I consider the Internet to be a public/global marketplace. No one sells out of their trunks on Instagram or whatever.

morgue_sludge wrote:

IOW, if you didn't buy it on DVD-r out of someone's trunk at the gas station, why not? I consider the Internet to be a public/global marketplace. No one sells out of their trunks on Instagram or whatever.

True and people sell dvd-r on the web.

morgue_sludge wrote:

^They should be, though (as they already are on Discogs. And I can't comprehend why not here). I've explained why before:

I think bootlegs need to be added, and in great detail. It makes the harder-to-detect ones that much easier to research and avoid. Don't you?

I could go on about other finer points, but I think that is the most significant reason why (marketed, not privately/anonymously sold) bootlegs warrant inclusion here.

Well if 1 user says yeah its good enough for me ill add a couple and see if the staff delete them.

_Jo_Store [wrote]

Well if 1 user says yeah its good enough for me ill add a couple and see if the staff delete them.

Yeah, great Jo_Store!

Why even bother to have Rules & Guidelines for this DB at all if the users (including you) don't care about them?

Crap (so called releases) like that should not be included in the DB.
They are not even Bootlegs. One is a homerecording from television and the other
is a homemade copy from the original or even worse,from another homemade copy.
And using the name of the VHS cassette as cat#, totally ridiculous!!!

How would this DB looks if every User start to add their own home recorded (from television) or copied VHS, DVDs as new release of a Film or TV-Series?

Total madness!

I hope that "Staff" deletes them as soon as they lay eyes on them.
And if they don't, it is a real shame and pity for the DB.

Thanx.

Zamala why the personal attack?

in the guidelines if you bother to look above it only says blank's are not allowed nothing about bootlegs.

bootlegs have been allowed on discogs for ages and you can't tell me that none of them are home made cd's / cassettes.

Zamala if you say no to bootlegs these have been on here for months

https://www.filmo.gs/release/277522-the-transporter-refueled

in asia they are home recorded discs illegal burnt onto dvd-r you bring them back and they will be horrible picture audio etc so if they are allowed tge vhs tapes are allowed unless staff removes them all.

Jo_Store wrote:

in the guidelines if you bother to look above it only says blank's are not allowed nothing about bootlegs.

bootlegs have been allowed on discogs for ages and you can't tell me that none of them are home made cd's / cassettes.

Hey Jo_Store it,s nothing personal, but i don't understand why you want to add to the mess.

https://www.filmo.gs/guidelines
Here is a links for you to read and just not the Wiki links.

Click on general Rules and Guidelines.

It is not only your homemade release that should be deleted, but all.

Thanx.

The issue of bootlegs and homemade copies has been discussed before in these threads:

https://www.filmo.gs/forum/274859-dvdr
https://www.filmo.gs/forum/274860-unofficial-releases
https://www.filmo.gs/forum/248265-digital-copies

falsepriest Staff
1 year ago
Thanks for starting a conversation around releases and database entries like these. I have removed all unofficial (digital and homemade) releases from the database listed here. This is according to the database rules and guidelines (derived from Discogs) found in the Wiki

The issue here being, that homemade releases are not allowed, which I think Jo_Store's entries most likely are.

Also the issue with the asian releases was discussed in these threads, but the staff didn't enter that discussion.

My thread is about unofficial releases on factory-made DVDs, ex:
https://www.filmo.gs/release/276363-aftermath
This DVD is made in a regular DVD plant in Indonesia, sold in shops and is completely unofficial, but is a real DVD. It contains Indonesian language too.

When it comes to bootlegs / pirated versions of releases, it is a difficult discussion, if they should be included or not. Primarily because it sometimes can be hard to distinguish between homemade copies and prommotional items on VHS and DVD-R. I do think, that factorymade bootlegs should be entered into the database.

In this case though, if we allow these, we allow all hometaped recordings. What should stop me from entering some of my own tapes with recorded movies, or the copies of video nasties that circulated back in the day, and since they were copied onto whatever tape you had, they would all be unique releases.

Home recordings should not be entered into the database.

zamla_71 wrote:

Jo_Store wrote:

Hey Jo_Store it,s nothing personal, but i don't understand why you want to add to the mess.

https://www.filmo.gs/guidelines
Here is a links for you to read and just not the Wiki links.

It is not only your homemade release that should be deleted, but all.

Thanx.

Still says nothing about bootlegs i checked both release and genrael guidelines.

Jo_Store wrote:

zamla_71 wrote:

Jo_Store wrote:

https://www.filmo.gs/guidelines> > Here is a links for you to read and just not the Wiki links.

Still says nothing about bootlegs i checked both release and genrael guidelines.

Hey Jo_Store.

Please read again and reply with the correct answer to the 2 following question.

What does it say under the Chapters "Generality" and "Authenicity" in the Rules section?

It is right on top of the General Rules and Guidelines.

Thanx.

So no too bootlegs this is strange when there are heaps allready on here "strange website".

This then put a lot of wrestling DVD's into a grey area, many independent promotions release their shows on self produced DVD's, thus making them "custom-built".

TheWho87 wrote:

This then put a lot of wrestling DVD's into a grey area, many independent promotions release their shows on self produced DVD's, thus making them "custom-built".

Frigg this sucks because you actually gotta pay money to the company for there media.

Hi,
Please note our guidelines state:

Filmogs only catalogs objects that have been made available to the general public, either as commercially sold objects, or as free give-aways. This means that custom-built or adapated items are not suitable for submission on Filmogs...

Thanks

falsepriest wrote:

Hi,
Please note our guidelines state:

Filmogs only catalogs objects that have been made available to the general public, either as commercially sold objects, or as free give-aways. This means that custom-built or adapated items are not suitable for submission on Filmogs...

Thanks

We did determin that, so if you pay a indie company for there product and its a dvd-r we can't add it?

Because it's classed as "Custom-built" i think in these casses these should be allowed (Not talking about homemade tv tape)

If a company created their own content, sent it to be made into DVD's and then sold it themselves through their website, would that be sold as a commercial object or would that be a bootleg?

I think there is a clear definition of someone putting someone elses stuff onto a DVD-R and selling it and someone selling their own work on a DVD-R.

Sort of the difference between a band burning their stuff on a CD and selling it and a third party burning a CD of a bands content.

TheWho87 wrote:

If a company created their own content, sent it to be made into DVD's and then sold it themselves through their website, would that be sold as a commercial object or would that be a bootleg?

I think there is a clear definition of someone putting someone elses stuff onto a DVD-R and selling it and someone selling their own work on a DVD-R.

Sort of the difference between a band burning their stuff on a CD and selling it and a third party burning a CD of a bands content.

So true because cd-r are allowed on discogs if the band burnt there own content to CD its the same with cassette.

Yeah, whether or not something is considered a bootleg is less about the format, more about whether the distributor has the legal right to make and distribute copies of original content. So an indie company producing their own content to sell sounds fine. If you record a movie in a cinema on a camcorder and make duplicate VHS tapes, that's a different thing.

For reference, here's Discogs definition of a Bootleg:

6.15.3. The following are approximate definitions only of items that do not adhere to copyright laws: Bootleg: Unauthorized recordings of live performances/broadcasts. Counterfeit: Recordings which are copied or distributed without authority, and which are packaged to resemble the original as closely as possible. Pirate: Recordings which are copied or distributed without authority, and which are usually packaged differently to the original.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.