i have a few wrestling exrentals, some have a disc sticker saying what store it was from like and the video store.

Videoeasy Annerly, Blockbuster Woodridge etc.

do they warrant a seprate release, i am providing a random picture off google to show what i mean.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ZI4AAOSwAAJdOiqp/s-l400.jpg

i also have 2 exrental's in a exrental case they would warrant i seprate version?

Yes, rentals are allowed.

No, rentals from a specific store does not warrant a separate version.
Either a release is retail, rental or promo no matter what store they came from.

And don't add them as Ex-rentals, but just rentals.

Thanx.

zamla_71 wrote:

Yes, rentals are allowed.

No, rentals from a specific store does not warrant a separate version.
Either a release is retail, rental or promo no matter what store they came from.

And don't add them as Ex-rentals, but just rentals.

Thanx.

What?

Exrentals are allowed but not from a spcific store?

So that means i can't add any from Video stores? like blockbuster, videoezy etc?

Videostores are not retailers they are were you go and rent the media, after so many years they sell the items off and some have specific cases like

Ezample - https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/113885150205_/Blockbuster-Ex-Rental-DVD-Case-Empty-Prop-York.jpg

More often than not, a rental version of a release, has rental version stated somewhere on either the cover or the disc itself:

Example: https://www.filmo.gs/release/372393-rise-rental

From what I can see from the picture, the "Civic video Sunnybank Hills" is a sticker, that the rental store has placed on the disc. So that in itself wouldn't warrant a separate version.
Unfortunately https://www.filmo.gs/release/61407-johnny-mnemonic doesn't have a picture of the disc. Otherwise I would suspect, that it belongs with that release, or is possibly a rental version of that release.

And the last image, I would categorize as a Blockbuster homemade cover. So the discs themselves would warrant a place in the database, but not the Blockbuster cover. Then hopefully, someone along the way, would add the right cover to them.

are the rentals releases different from store to store in your country?

here in Sweden the rental release are the same no matter what store they came from.

is there differences between a release from the Blockbuster store in Woodridge, compared to the same release from another Blockbuster store?

Each rental store has its own rental release.

Civic Video manly place a sticker on there release, Blockbuster put theres in a Blockbuster case.

and Videoezy also put a sticker over there disc which is different too civic's sticker.

Then you have libary rentals which again put a diffrent sticker over there disc and stickers on there case.

But each Videoezy sticker will say "Videoezy (Name of store)"

What i was going too do was (Name of release "Civic Video / Blockbuster etc" ex-rental)

MBJensen wrote:

More often than not, a rental version of a release, has rental version stated somewhere on either the cover or the disc itself:

Example: https://www.filmo.gs/release/372393-rise-rental

From what I can see from the picture, the "Civic video Sunnybank Hills" is a sticker, that the rental store has placed on the disc. So that in itself wouldn't warrant a separate version.
Unfortunately https://www.filmo.gs/release/61407-johnny-mnemonic doesn't have a picture of the disc. Otherwise I would suspect, that it belongs with that release, or is possibly a rental version of that release.

And the last image, I would categorize as a Blockbuster homemade cover. So the discs themselves would warrant a place in the database, but not the Blockbuster cover. Then hopefully, someone along the way, would add the right cover to them.

No those releases dont link up, each civic video release will say the Civic Video store on front that sticker, was very hard to peel off if it was damaged the video store would replace the sticker.

that version of johnny mechanic looks like a Shop brought version like one anyone can buy from a shop brand new.

these are some case examples below of diffrent cases.

A civic video vhs case would look like this example - https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ytoAAOSwY0JddE24/s-l300.jpg

civic dvd case example - https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT4Acgg1tTGQsx20oykQPZm6kfcAsO52GRn_zfELZMBnEJEzLY_

Videoezy dvd case example - https://www.google.com/search?q=video+ezy+dvd+case&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjossDRqpjlAhX0SnwKHR5bDkcQ2-cCegQIABAB&oq=video+ezy+dvd+case&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.3...3776.7942..8332...0.0..0.306.4648.0j3j15j1......0....1.........35i304i39j0i67j30i10.9Ai14gz1pb4&ei=O5-iXaipGPSV8QOetrm4BA&bih=800&biw=1280&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=isnv#imgrc=gjGDJuKyLErO7M

Jo_Store wrote:

Each rental store has its own rental release.

Yes, of course they do.

Civic Video manly place a sticker on there release, Blockbuster put theres in a Blockbuster case.

and Videoezy also put a sticker over there disc which is different too civic's sticker.

Then you have libary rentals which again put a diffrent sticker over there disc and stickers on there case.

But each Videoezy sticker will say "Videoezy (Name of store)

Stickers from different rental stores does not qualifiy as unique submission, they were put on the release by the store itself. It did not come from the Distributor with these stickers attatched.

What i was going too do was (Name of release "Civic Video / Blockbuster etc" ex-rental)

Does your copies have something like Rental, Rental Copy or Only for Rental printed anywhere on the release (insert, disc),besides the stickers.
If so they are ok to add as a unique submission. If you like you could add what rental store they came from in the Notes section.

And please do not use ex-rental. That is just a thing we are calling them since they were bought in a rental store. They were distributed as rental releases and that is what they are. You don't call a release bought in a general store for an ex-retail, do you?

Thanx

Also forgot to add each Civic release has a seprate Cat number printed on there disc which is different too all the other discs and different to other releases from a video shop.

For example my release of WWE Royal Rumble 2016 has cat number on Disc D70968 where it would be different for a other release from another video store.

Jo_Store wrote:

Also forgot to add each Civic release has a seprate Cat number printed on there disc which is different too all the other discs and different to other releases from a video shop.

For example my release of WWE Royal Rumble 2016 has cat number on Disc D70968 where it would be different for a other release from another video store.

yes, many rentals stores put their down cat# on the releases, but still it is printed on the sticker and not in the release itself, ight?

sorry, their own cat#

Jo_Store.

what is the point of starting a thread like this since you don't really care what other users are telling you. You just go Ahead and add them anyway.

it was the same with the Bootleg releases.

Why even bother? so now we add Rental Stores as companies.

That is just great!!!!

i did take into account what you said, not my fault EK_ left vecause of you.

you made EK Leave he was a decent person a decent contributor and now he is gone because of your ideas, maybe you are the new salty EK when i first joined filmogs EK was salty as hell but we sorted out our differences

i think you are the new salty EK.

and also discogs says a sticker makes a different release

sticker or anything like that makes a different version of a release

i havent made any more bootlegs i said i will see what will happen and tye staff don't mind them being up.

and also

the company is no different to a series is it?

if series are allowed on here why not a retail chain?

Target, Kmart, walmart and all them are retail chains and they are on here as companies.

Jo_Store wrote:

i did take into account what you said, not my fault EK_ left vecause of you.

you made EK Leave he was a decent person a decent contributor and now he is gone because of your ideas, maybe you are the new salty EK when i first joined filmogs EK was salty as hell but we sorted out our differences

i think you are the new salty EK.

Well, it was his decision to leave. Wasen't it. He could have done the same as you and just ignore me and other users.
I believe users MBJensen also told you.

MBJensen wrote:

Is he as Salty as well?

No MB is fine he has alwyas been fine unless you don't want my collection up?

if you do be kind and don't argue over little things.

I will try to explain my position using Jo_store's entry: https://www.filmo.gs/release/381742-wwe-royal-rumble-2016-civic-video-rental as an example.

The release itself of course is valid for an entry in the database. As far as I can find, it is a standard retail release, used as a rental. (There are some copies being sold on ebay for example: https://www.ebay.com.au/p/219703824?iid=273656208212)

Just because Civic Video has used the disc to rent out, and applied their own unique serial number to disc with a sticker, doesn't make it a unique release. The same applies to used releases wether they're bought from rental stores, libraries or privately.
It is the release that was supplied to them from the distributor that is of interest.

I would remove all the references to Civic Video, and then make a note about the sticker being applied to the disc by Civic Video.

Stickers: Not an easy subject, and it is not a clearcut case, that a sticker automatically should warrent a new entry.

For example this ongoing discussion on discogs: https://www.discogs.com/forum/thread/762526

If, for example, a retailer puts a sticker on release with a different barcode, that wouldn't make it a unique release. Then every pricetag out there would make a different release, and it doesn't.

No matter how many stickers and homemade covers Civic Video, Blockbuster, Ezydvdand all the other video rental stores made or put on their discs, to track them in their systems, it was still the same release that was supplied to them.

Retail stores:
Yes there are some retail stores listed as companies. Primarily, because there has issued variant covers through these chains.
Are there some that could be up for debate if they should be allowed in the database? Yes there certainly is.
But these releases, are based on a licensing deal with the distributor, where the retailer makes a deal with the distributor for some sort of unique release. In most cases a variant cover/packaging, with a booklet or something else included. Not only a sticker with a store name.

To sum up my opinion:

The releases are valid, neither zamla_71 nor I have said they weren't.
The releases are not, as far as I can tell, rental versions, but retail versions used for rental.
There shouldn't be any mention of the rental stores in the submission, other than in the notes, stating that the stickers were added by the rental place.

Hopefully, down the line, some user will be able to add a scans of the release, without the rental store stickers.

you made EK Leave he was a decent person a decent contributor and now he is gone because of your ideas

Jo_Store, cool it with the personal attacks. That's not an appropriate way to respond to feedback on a question you asked.

The overall tone here could be brought down several levels, keep it civil here.

Ex-rentals only warrant a separate release if there are physical differences from manufacture for the release. If it's a standard retail release with a sticker on the cover does not justify a separate release.

So a sticker placed on the disc by manufacture does not warrant a physical change?

Stickers on discogs warrant a seprate addition.

Like i have some releases with a store sticker on it but im not going to add a retail store unless it says on tye release retail exclusive.

So a sticker placed on the disc by manufacture does not warrant a physical change?

If it's a manufacturing difference then yes, but if it was stuck on at the video rental store then i would say no. I'd say VideoEzy and Civic Video stickers fall into the latter category.

Stickers on discogs warrant a seprate addition.

That doesn't sound quite right to me and I can't find guidelines to support it. This is the closest I can find in the guidelines:

5.11. If information is taken from stickers that have been applied after manufacture (for example by the distributor), please declare it is a sticker in the description, and add any further information available (for example, the company name).

I wouldn't class a video rental store as a distributor in this sense. If you want to mention it's an ex-rental I'm all for that - this can be done in the Notes field.

Hello!

It was kind of you to come to EK_'s defense, Jo_Store, but zamla_71 was not the reason they left.

Ask the "Staff"... just don't DM them with any questions or concerns.

:)

__KE wrote_:

Hello!

It was kind of you to come to EK_'s defense, Jo_Store, but zamla_71 was not the reason they left.

Dang i hope you can fix this website up, so much needs fixing nowadays.

You are and always will be a good person/contributor even know of our past.

__KE wrote_:

Hello!

Welcome to the site, _KE.

Sorry if EK felt they didn't always get the type of responses they wanted, however I believe we always communicated politely, acted in good faith, and have never have penalized a community member for expressing an opinion or asking a question.

As you can imagine with any small community-led project, balancing one person's requests within the community and managing several sites of a similar nature can be a challenge. We're continuing to do our best, we appreciate your understanding :)

If you have any questions or would like to discuss further, feel free to contact us through the Help & Support link in the footer.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.