Movies aren't the only things with alternate titles! Plus, the bulk of these "List Duplicate" threads wouldn't exist.

I really don't understand why no one had the foresight to make this an integral part of the site. This likely should have been part of the db from it's launch. I don't remember discogs having to wait several years to develop the same or similar. And why not start with the same structure? Why reinvent the wheel? WTF!? (pardon my frustrated anglo-saxxon exclamation)

Please Staff, help me understand.

Because that would be the easy option, why not start something, make a mess and have to clear that mess up.

You can add an Alias for a company in the Film or Release submission. When you add the title of a Company or Credit you can click the pencil to add the name variation of that company.
I'm not sure what the equivalent field is on Discogs - being able to specify the Parent company on a Label page?

they mean variations field for example on Kurt Cobain, you have in variations, Cobain, Kurt Cobain D, Kurdt, Kurt Donald Cobain, Kurd Kobain etc.

for here apvariations would be helpful fir Rusaian actors say example there name is Vadim Kolganov on here its in Russian but if he appered on a English film he would be Vadim Kolganov and someone would not see Vadim Kolganov so they add Vadim Kolganov then it repeats with 1'000's of dupes.

it would be easier if we used the pencil and there name actually pops up in variations so the next time someone uses Vadim Kolganov it comes up with there russian credit instead of creating a duplicate.

Vadim Kolganov was an example.

You hit the nail on the head Jo

falsepriest wrote:

You can add an Alias for a company in the Film or Release submission. When you add the title of a Company or Credit you can click the pencil to add the name variation of that company.
I'm not sure what the equivalent field is on Discogs - being able to specify the Parent company on a Label page?

This is not about ANV for credits/releases, this is about searchable name alternatives, although I'd argue if you can make ANV's searchable and link up to that would be handy.

But I think the best description would be a field similar to alternative titles but for credits and companies.

TheWho87 wrote:

This is not about ANV for credits/releases, this is about searchable name alternatives, although I'd argue if you can make ANV's searchable and link up to that would be handy.

But I think the best description would be a field similar to alternative titles but for credits and companies.

This too, more so.

I feel I need to add a definition of terms;
Alias = Alternate Name = Alternate Titles: Not a variant in spelling. Includes birth names, stage names, aliases (literaly (imagine that!)), etc.

Ok, sorry i misunderstood, thanks for the examples here. I'll pass this feedback along to our development team.

falsepriest wrote:

Ok, sorry i misunderstood, thanks for the examples here. I'll pass this feedback along to our development team.

I hope it comes quick as it will help out heaps around here.

Nivekian wrote:

You hit the nail on the head Jo

Thanks Nivekian

falsepriest wrote:

Any update if this will include backwads names example imdb like putting Chinesem Hongkong etc names backwads like.

Bingbing Fan

when on here its Fan Bingbing

i think this will clear up easy mistakes like that.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.