Hi all,

As 2020 is fast approaching, we’ve got a few changes coming up ahead of the new year that we wanted to let you know about.

Marketplace Beta coming to an end
In order to focus on improving the Discogs’ Marketplace and overall functionality, we will be turning off the individual beta marketplaces on each of the -ogs sites. Longer-term, we hope to extend the offering of the Discogs Marketplace to allow the sale of items found on Filmogs (as well as our other databases). All sellers will also be notified via email.

You can continue to place orders until December 2, after which Buy and Sell buttons will be removed from Release pages. You can finalize any open orders and access your data from your Filmogs shop account until December 16. There’s no action required from you in terms of your listings or inventory, but if you’d like to check what you’ve got listed or make any changes to your inventory, you can do so here.

Filmogs Moving to Discogs Subdomain
Over the next few weeks we’ll be moving from www.filmo.gs to films.discogs.com. Everything else will remain the same - same name, same layout, same Collection and Wantlist, same data. We’ll be redirecting all the pages, so if it takes a while for your muscle memory to reset (we know it will for us), you’ll still be taken to the page you’re after.

As always, we appreciate the time and effort you put into submitting your film releases to Filmogs and being part of the community! We apologize for any inconvenience these changes may cause.

Thanks,
Jess and the Filmogs crew

How long will the old URL be supported, asking simply because we have been adding episode lists to TV series pages with HTML in the notes, for example Blackadder

We'll start redirecting the URL probably in early December and all the links in the HTML of those TV series pages should still work, but we can migrate to fix them if need be. In the meantime, I suggest using relative links (just the last part of the link)
e.g.
< a href="/film/389763-bells">Bells
rather than the full
< a href="https://filmo.gs/film/389763-bells">Bells
Thanks!

Might take a while to go back and retroactivly correct these, but if I know/find any I'll use that format.

There are a lot of credits that I've put in to discogs that refer to the filmogs site for credits that helps build out a good "films" list on discogs for the equivalent credit. A relative link I don't think will work for now. Should we keep adding these links, and later an automated process in discogs will fix these links to relative links when this shift occurs? Will the credits be merged then too? Good suggestions on how to build credits to help with such a merge later might be useful too.

TheWho87 wrote:

Might take a while to go back and retroactivly correct these, but if I know/find any I'll use that format.

No need to go back and do this manually for pages you've already made! This suggestion is just for new pages you create. If there's an issue with the links after the migration (there might not be), we can fix it in bulk.

mikewn wrote:

There are a lot of credits that I've put in to discogs that refer to the filmogs site for credits that helps build out a good "films" list on discogs for the equivalent credit. A relative link I don't think will work for now. Should we keep adding these links, and later an automated process in discogs will fix these links to relative links when this shift occurs? Will the credits be merged then too? Good suggestions on how to build credits to help with such a merge later might be useful too.

All Filmogs links will be automatically redirected, so if you click on a link that looks like https://www.filmo.gs/film/180416-the-driver it will automatically move you through to https://films.discogs.com/film/180416-the-driver (not live yet).

There's no plan to merge Filmogs and Discogs credits at this point. The only thing that will change on Filmogs is the URL, all the data will remain separate to what's on Discogs.

falsepriest wrote:

No need to go back and do this manually for pages you've already made! This suggestion is just for new pages you create. If there's an issue with the links after the migration (there might not be), we can fix it in bulk.

I only did it on a couple pages I only finished a few days back, one needed updating adding specials anyway.

I won't go out the way to update them, but if I'm updating it anyway, why not.

falsepriest wrote:

We'll start redirecting the URL probably in early December and all the links in the HTML of those TV series pages should still work, but we can migrate to fix them if need be. In the meantime, I suggest using relative links (just the last part of the link)
e.g.
rather than the full
Thanks!

Are all old HTML links going to the new system?

UG1002 wrote:

falsepriest wrote:

e.g.
rather than the full
Thanks!

Are all old HTML links going to the new system?

Yep, they'll all redirect to the most current format

Thanks the new system looks great i am experincing some slugish browisng experince on filmogs, though i guess its just part of the maintanence and nothing to worry about.

So does this mean that there is no more buying / selling on the ogs sities after december?

or its all getting sold through discogs

Good to see as a new person as I prefer the other site.

UG1002 wrote:

So does this mean that there is no more buying / selling on the ogs sities after december?

or its all getting sold through discogs

That's right, no more buying or selling on Filmogs or the other 'ogs sites.

The long-term goal is for these items to be available through the Discogs marketplace, but we don't have a definite date for when this will be ready

This is a shame - while I enjoy the traffic on Discogs, from a seller perspective, listing on filmogs is a much better designed process. Specifically, the ability to add multiple shipping rates according to where the item is being sent is much more user-friendly on filmogs.

I'll be sad to see your hard work lost.

Thanks for the kind words, sixandnine. We're disappointed too, but we're hoping it's all for the good of the main marketplace and that we can introduce more of those customisable elements to Discogs

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.