thebenisher
1 year ago
I'd love to see Filmogs eventually have the same kind of marketplace element that Discogs has. Does anyone have a guess as to how long that might take? It's clear there's roadblocks: the database needs to grow and then even with a huge database I'm sure there's less of a demand for movies than for music on physical format but it'd still be cool to see what releases are in demand and what individual pieces can fetch a good price.
narcoticevil
1 year ago
Possibly much later in the future - I think this question is asked across the board for most of the beta sites (Bibliogs, Comicogs, Gearogs).

At the rate we are progressing at the moment, it could be a long way off however
tsivihcra
1 year ago
You are correct, music collectors are far more numerous than film collectors.

However, there is no other site that I know of that seeks to catalog individual editions of films. We have something new here.
EK_
1 year ago
It takes quite a long time to index a release fully, too. A user with a collection in the thousands, it could easily take years to index them.
char1es
1 year ago
Hi - I am new to these sites but I wonder if an interim solution would be to encourage links to an external site. If this was easy to do (say to the Amazon market place or Ebay) then sellers could list there once they have been through the release process. They could even quote a link to the filmogs entry on their external listing - so prospective buyers would know exactly what they are getting.
I think there would be high demand for older more obscure DVDs - especially given the variety of extras / soundtracks etc.
EK_
1 year ago
Amazon 3rd party seller system is LAME! There are SO MANY instances of individuals piggy-backing on rare or out-of-print discs, and then selling an item that is not what was shown on the site. Thumbs down from me on linking to external sites.
Adambassador
1 year ago
We definitely need to keep things in house
Weetzie
11 months ago
Hey all! The answer to this question depends a lot on the community...

We have stated to work on building out a marketplace for Gearogs. You can see Teo's response here: https://www.gearogs.com/forum/17364-will-you-be-able-to-sell-on-here
(Teo is the original creator, developer, and CEO of Discogs).

If Filmogs starts to become more complete, and there is interest from the community, there is definitely the possibility to add a marketplace at some point.
pqhf5kd
11 months ago
This question applies to both Filmogs and Bibliogs.
Are new features not being worked on due to a lack of users and content or are you not looking to attract users and content until the features are implanted? I ask as there's very, very little info out there about these sites.
BarryWallace
10 months ago
I suggest that the lack of content is due to the lack of focus. For example, today I took care of all the films Chuck Norris appeared in. Made sure I had all the proper poster and boom done and dusted.

That was today's mission for me. I was shocked that through this I created, the Jean-Claude Van Damme, Joey Bishop, and Dean Martin Pages...

I feel we need to make missions, especially with notable people of the film industry... Tomorrow Daniel Day Lewis, the next Steven Seagal, after Steven Spilberg, after Uwe Boll, after Ed Wood, after Martin Scorsese, after Jean Luc Godard, after Xavier Dolan, after Charlie Chaplin and so forth.

If we cover the top 300 players of the film industry, that is a lot of movie, and a proper market place.
praz
6 months ago
I strongly doubt that this will ever happen. UGC are not in vogue anymore, and for good reasons, IMHO ( = free work.)
EK_
6 months ago
If someone is contributing to a site because it is trendy or fashionable they seriously need to re-evaluate themselves. Facebook, anyone?
alexl
6 months ago
UGCs not in vogue anymore? Wikipedia, Mobygames, Gamefaqs and iMDB are more popular than ever.
mandersmedia
5 months ago
I personally am waiting for there to be a marketplace here before listing too many titles, I have some VHS and DVD titles ready to go and - at least in the UK - VHS Videos aren't recyclable and most charlity shops won't take them. Filmogs could extend the sentiment of what Discogs do (especially from their September campaign over there) and help these films find a home rather than going to landfill.
BarryWallace
5 months ago
I personally feel the admin did not create the site for us to geek around, and mandersmedia I agree with you.

I feel that the admin need to actually hire someone or find an intern who will spend several hours on this everyday until there enough content for sales.

Also on discogs I am amazed at the stuff there isn't there. I created pages myself.

BarryWallace
5 months ago
I personally feel the admin did not create the site for us to geek around, and mandersmedia I agree with you.

I feel that the admin need to actually hire someone or find an intern who will spend several hours on this everyday until there enough content for sales.

Also on discogs I am amazed at the stuff there isn't there. I created pages myself.

EK_
5 months ago
Regarding not enough content:

What do you consider "enough content"? By far, most users seem to be focusing on adding FILMS and CREDITS - and while I don't really understand why, as there are many sites already out there with much more detailed info - a Marketplace will NEVER come about if users do not start focusing on adding RELEASES. But to add RELEASE that has more data than one can find on ebay or amazon takes time. Jeez, there is not even 7,000 indexed releases on filmogs -- I have way more than that in my own collection at home -- and this is suppose to be a community thing. Compare 6,617 RELEASES to 26,740 CREDIT entries and 7,626 FILM entires! (By the way, only 11 releases entered all day today vs. Lord knows how many Credits and Films.)

Point being, users shouldn't complain about no marketplace unless they want to participate in the creation of it.
EK_
5 months ago
Mandersmedia - what do you mean? You don't want to list your titles, but want to use this site to sell them? C'mon!
mirva
5 months ago
I personally feel the admin did not create the site for us to geek around
You know how Discogs started, right? ;-)

The marketplace will come eventually, it's probably just a lot of work. As they don't invest too much time on the beta sites, it will take a while. Patience.
EK_
5 months ago
UPDATE:
Not quite 24 hours since my posts above - here are today's numbers!

CREDITS - 159 ENTERED (26,889)
FILMS - 38 ENTERED (7,664)
RELEASES - 16 ENTERED (6,633)

alexl
5 months ago
I will start adding more releases, I've got some DVDs still to scan, but not that many. I thought about prioritising Film to get the framework in for credits, but will try a new tactic.
mirva
5 months ago
I thought about prioritising Film to get the framework in for credits
I've been doing a little bit everything. I added a big chunk of the films first before adding the releases. I find it easier to add the releases when the films are already in the database, it makes going through hundreds of releases a bit more tolerable.

I don't think we should dismiss any contributions - we need credits and films too to create a complete database. IMVHO any contribution is more than welcome.
BarryWallace
5 months ago
Well said mirva.

I do think that this place not becoming a marketplace is mostly the admin's fault.

We're just geeking around some of us are more passionate than others

If they had hired someone to contribute each day they would have reached a point for marketplace quicker. And would have recovered spending already. By depending on us they are doing a false economy.

However I do not know if they calculated this thoroughly or they just don't have the extra cash to hire someone.

I can't blame people that do not have the time or interest to contribute and is seeking direct sales. Why would he waste his time here.
EK_
4 months ago
Problem is - hire someone to contribute WHAT exactly?

Anyone can go to, say Amazon.com and start adding hundreds and hundreds of releases. But what exactly would the point of that be? Why would someone come to filmogs to see the exact same content - and most likely less - than what they could find on Amazon.com?

Paying someone to copy and paste data to fill increase the number of unique releases is not going to bring users to this site. I've said it so many times, the only thing that will bring people to a site is content that they cannot find any place else.

Never once did I say contributions should be dismissed. I was curious as to why a user would (A) spend their time copying data from sites like IMDB, and/or (B) enter a release with only four lines of data - which is LESS than online retailers present to their customers. Whatever. THAT seems like a colossal waste of time to me.

Correct me if I am wrong but I do not think that there is a site that focuses on the physical release of home video products specifically. Yeah, there are some review sites that give a passing mention about packaging, but nothing in depth. Review sites and Film data sites are not the same as Collector driven sites. And I know how people LOVE to bring up Discogs - but, jeez, that is collector mania to the extreme! I'm sure that site didn't start out with musician profiles - it was about the product, the physical releases.
Weetzie
4 months ago
I agree that documenting individual releases is likely what can make Filmogs a useful database, but all database contributions are valuable and important! Like mirva said:

I don't think we should dismiss any contributions - we need credits and films too to create a complete database. IMVHO any contribution is more than welcome.
Also... exciting marketplace news to share:
http://www.factmag.com/2017/03/22/gearogs-discogs-audio-hardware-marketplace/
sound.and.vision
4 months ago
The thing is everyone, lets be honest here - the marketplace is what makes Discogs money. So Filmogs, Bibliogs, Comicogs and Gearogs will all end up with marketplaces, however they will only invest the time once there is enough data.

Lets just carry on submitting away, and hopefully we will gain some traction and be able to sell items.
EK_
4 months ago
Skirting the issue - what is the data that is going to allow for a marketplace? Releases.
EK_
4 months ago
However, even with tons of releases, if this funky search functionality is not worked out, no one will be able to find anything.
sound.and.vision
4 months ago
Oh yeah, there are some much needed refinements to the way the website works in my opinion before we could even consider such a thing:

- better searching and indexing
- draft functionality
- the ability to sort and manage our own collections/want lists/contributions
- better film-release link pages with more information in the summary view (not just title and format)

and various other bits and pieces that have been requested over the last few years.
mirva
4 months ago
the ability to sort and manage our own collections/want lists/contributions
Yeah, that's the number one on my wishlist. :)
Metallife13
4 months ago
I quit listing on here because of all the bickering about how to do it. I am tired of all the supposed "experts" redoing what I list - IE...not enough info, not right format, etc. To set filmogs up as a marketplace would help...people (including me) use Ebay, Amazon, and other sites because you don't need to list so much information as you want on this site. People interested in buying for their collection don't usually care about a lot of the things you ask for here. I have over 3,000 dvds myself now and when i buy I want to know its original, condition, aspect ratio, bar code, etc. Not so much all the cast, directors, all catalog #'s, color encoding, audio type, identifying codes, chapters, etc. You will never get enough people on here with it taking an hour to list everything you require per item. I am sticking with Ebay because I enjoy buying, selling and actually watching my collection and not just spending all my time listing every little thing about it. Good luck!
deejaymbass
4 months ago
I've literally only just found this site. I've been a Discogs member for years and years and always though there should be an equivalent for movies.
I disagree that there's not as many movie collectors as there are music collectors. I think that building this into a mirrored version of Discogs but for movies instead would be a massively popular move to make. Yes it would take a huge amount of time and effort to build but even Discogs is still very incomplete and has many mistakes even now so these things areally ALWAYS growing.

I am a collector of VHS, LaserDisc, DVD and (weirdly perhaps) UMD. I know there are many thousands of collectors in certain forums on Facebook for example who would thrive on a site like this, busing and selling and growing their collections.
Occasionally you get record fairs that have a film section where you might find a couple of laser discs or something but they're few and far between. We NEED a marketplace for all of the different film formats which people collect these days. I mean, some of the original UK pre-cert video tapes sell for hundreds of pounds on eBay and I've seen all sorts of rare Betamax and CED sell for loads. The world needs a movie marketplace - it's a huge gaping hole in the available outlets to obtain what you're looking for. At the moment you've got eBay and that's it. Not everyone uses eBay.
EK_
4 months ago
Obviously, some individuals only want a site to sell their wares and don't want to put the time and effort into it. If that is how they feel - good luck to you elsewhere.

There are individuals that want to know what exactly was included in the original, unopened, retail version. If that is not you, fine.

to quote Metallife13
" I am tired of all the supposed "experts" redoing what I list - IE...not enough info, not right format, etc."

If the data sucks - IE...WRONG - how does that help anyone on this site? Not all about you and your pocketbook.

BarryWallace
4 months ago
Gearogs just became a marketplace.

So my guess is that they'll eventually make a tweak there and there, and boom it will be marketplace.

In my opinion the TV episode listing that is so bad. No one puts up TV show episodes anymore.
EK_
3 months ago
Please NO MARKETPLACE. Nothing good can come of it.

RELEASES will quickly be added with no data of any significance just so the user can list their junk to sell it.

And all of the current RELEASES with four lines of data will never be completed by the people that added them originally.

- only get worse with a Marketplace -

BarryWallace
3 months ago
Wait you think they opened it for you to have a playground where you post DVD covers?

Making the argument of not being it ready for a Marketplace is fine.

I do think a Marketplace is a good idea because people could add a four line release which could be improved in time.
sound.and.vision
3 months ago
A marketplace is where this website is going, it is what pays the bills sadly to keep the Discogs estate running.
EK_
3 months ago
Obviously the other sections of the Discogs world are keeping this afloat.

Go ahead and read some of the market place gripes over on Discogs - the [heart]VINYL group is a good place to start.

- Here is my gripe - there are COLLECTOR'S of home video items. When a release has 4 lines of data, how in the world can anyone determine anything about the release? Especially catalog or continually in print items - the disc content can vary between pressings (the trailers, etc.) - Another example, variant cover art. Manga Entertainment has at least two variant for most of their early titles; Inserts; outer wrap stickers; etc. etc.

And, no, this is hardly my playground, Mr. Wallace. But what is the point for someone to flood the site with half-assed entries? It does no one any good - because they are never going to come back and update them - and it is really doubtful that someone else is going to clean up behind them.

It is obviously a race for some to increase their contributions - have you ever looked as some of the entries for RELEASES FILMS and or CREDITS; the individuals that love to add the data they find on IMDB can't even copy ALL of it. At least give us a page that is EQUAL to the one you are copying. The actors pages are even worse. But that is their deal. I don't add that stuff and won't.

The individuals that are using this site to simply list their collections are the ones using this as a playground. There are no other sites - save for maybe message boards - that give collector's any real info on the products.

(note soundandvision has good release entries)
EK_
3 months ago
DVD sales - unless item is new and unopened - should have the seller list all of the DVDID checksum for each disc. Unique identifier.
dmitrirex
3 months ago
Why not have Discogs and Filmogs bridge the gap by starting to sell DVD and VHS Musicals from any country that has them. I would love to sell Bollywood musicals here along with Broadway, Off Broadway and US and British movie Musicals. They would be perfect companion pieces for the CDs. Just seems like a logical way to start.
dosagushi
2 weeks ago
I would love to see this as a marketplace,
a market place would also make more of an incentive for people to add releases.
I would much prefer to sell here than on ebay.
there is a huge market for film collectors. though people might not think it.
there are many limited physical release films out now that sell out and go out of print and fetch high prices.
DelishMusic
2 weeks ago
Amen to that ^^
  • {{list.count}}