BarryWallace
7 months ago
I have a suggestion for Filmogs, it would be nice to have a way to add the Soundtrack track list to a film, with songs/pieces by the artists involved.

Most of us come from Discogs and would be very useful in that department.

Also sometimes for fans it the only to listen to some of their music. For example the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Phillip Glass, there is no Soundtrack of the film "Hamburger Hill" which Glass scored, and there is no release of the song Red Hot Chili Peppers contributed to the film "Thrashin'".

Like I said most of us come from Discogs and could be useful there. Just opening the idea I am not aware if it was done in earlier thread. Maybe other members have suggestion or opinions in that regards.
Darthemed
7 months ago
Seems like these could be added under Credits for now. Something like "Soundtrack ["Batdance"] - Prince" or "Score - Danny Elfman".
BarryWallace
7 months ago
For the score it's no problem, you write "Soundtrack by Ennio Morricone". But for a specific track what we have now is inconvenient, in my opinion
Darthemed
7 months ago
What would be the convenience difference between entering the credit for a song in the Credits field and entering it in a different field?
BarryWallace
7 months ago
I feel there is to much information on a song for a specific line in the credit section. It would take a lot of space for nothing.

I'D DIE FOR THIS DANCE
Performed by Nicolette Larson, Jeff Beck, Terry Bozzio and Tony Hymas
Written by Tena Clark and Gary Prim

BarryWallace
7 months ago
I made a typo there...

For the score it's no problem, you write "Score by Ennio Morricone". But for a specific track what we have now is inconvenient, in my opinion .
sound.and.vision
7 months ago
I think this would be a cool idea. Also when we consider making film entries for music videos possibly?

https://www.filmo.gs/forum/53229-Music-Videos
ExUndHop
7 months ago
Hi. I have to agree, that it takes quite a lot of space, but it is a feature that I would very much adore to have implemented since I miss it on plattforms like IMDB where the soundtrack list is often missing. I remember the hundreds of times when I sat at the movies watching the closing credits because I wanted to find out about a specific track, was not able to catch up with the scrolling text and had no success in searching the internet for it. Though this is definitely not the main focus of Discogs, it sure would add some value to the database.
nik
7 months ago
Could link from the External References in the Film to the Discogs entry for the soundtrack (if available).

Otherwise, could list the soundtrack info in the notes. I think adding more fields for this could complicate things at this point.
sound.and.vision
7 months ago
I've done the external references thing before, does work well and ties all of the 'ogs together.

I think people want to be able to click on the performer of a song and possibly see where else that song has shown up in a soundtrack?
nik
7 months ago
I think people want to be able to click on the performer of a song and possibly see where else that song has shown up in a soundtrack?
Yeh that kind of thing would be great. We are working on a new feature on Discogs that will tie tracks together and give a deep view of how tracks are related and what they are released on. Perhaps that is the best place for this type of information?
sound.and.vision
5 months ago
Do we have any progress on this?

Should I begin including soundtrack bits in the credits?
nik
5 months ago
Progress on the new feature I was talking about? Yes we are making progress, but it is not going to be something that is fully ready in the short term, more like several months out to a year.

Could you give an example of how you propose including soundtrack bits in the credits? Maybe edit one release / film to show how you would do that.
BarryWallace
5 months ago
I don't think it's a wise idea to mix the credit and soundtrack.
Look at all the names related to one song.

Arrow Through My Heart
Performed by Jimmy Demers
Written by Mike Piccirillo and Gary Goetzman
Produced by Mike Piccirillo

Want You
Performed by The Bangles
Written by Victoria Peterson (as Vicki Peterson)
Courtesy of A&M/IRS Records

Black Eyed Blonde
Performed by Red Hot Chili Peppers (as The Red Hot Chili Peppers)
Written by Anthony Kiedis & Flea (as Michael Balzary) & Cliff Martinez
Courtesy of E.M.I. Records
sound.and.vision
5 months ago
What about just the performer credit entry? (and the as parts can be shortened into an ANV)
BarryWallace
5 months ago
Well Nik, just said they are making this new section, so why even bother.

I even think that directors, writers, cast, and others should be in separate sections.

BarryWallace
5 months ago
I meant why bother until they finished what they say they would do.
sound.and.vision
4 days ago
Ok, this has come up in my mind again as I am adding episodes to the HBO series Entourage which is filled with loads of songs.

So I took the plunge and gave it ago, I decided to use the credit Soundtrack Performer and simply record the performer of each track. The track(s) performed by that performer are there in the (As) field.

Seems to work, still messy - but hey, if everyone else likes this idea then maybe we could proceed with it?
vellozet
3 days ago
One could link to certain sites like discogs, but I don't think a whole soundtrack should be listed here.
  • {{list.count}}